VW Engine Run On Water

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

VW Engine Run On Water

Post by CovKid »

Not sure how much this has been discussed but I have a few plans that I'm looking at to build one of these:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1u9X9Lq2AY

Essentially it uses ordinary tap water but wondered if anyone has, or is considering building their own so we can pool ideas? The construction looks relatively straightforward although modifications to pistons and barrels to minimise corrosion (rust) may be a consideration for a T25 run totally on water. Otherwise it looks a better bet than LPG - by far.

Bit more here although this is hybrid, not 100% water power which is what I'm looking at:

http://runyourcarwithwater.org/default.htm

Watch out for annoying woman!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

i have been looking at this but cant make up my mind if its a farse or not
jim
member 3462
1988 autohomes karisma 2.1dj

Poseidon
80-90 Mem No: 1025

Post by Poseidon »

I'm a bit of a sceptic...
If its so good why hasn't any manufacturers taken this up?
Love the idea though!
membership Number 1025

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

ok took the chance and bought the instructions, [beware] for my £25 ish i recieved an ebook its not as simple as its made out to be.will give my brother a copy as he is more academic and is interested in this as well.will keep you informed as to progress if we try it. just making you aware as to what you get for your money.
jim
member 3462
1988 autohomes karisma 2.1dj

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

A square pulse generator seems essential (available on ebay I noticed) but I couldn't see any reason why an old washing machine drum wouldn't provide the stainless steel plates needed for the hydrogen generator. A large home sized water filter (the canister type for mains filtration) is the perfect cell casing for this - learnt that much although some examples show people who have done it with a peanut butter jar - its just a little small to generate enough hydrogen quickly enough to my mind.

By the way, I've spent the best part of 3 days really reading up on this and watching countless videos as well as the theory of hydrogen generation and it seems it does indeed work and can actually half petrol consumption if you go hybrid. Part of the problem is that the oil industry just doesn't want this which is why I came across negative info dismissing the idea but its certainly possible to build one and they do work. Quite how well they work seems to depend on cell plate design, dimensions etc but you can definately extract hydrogen from water with relatively little equipment.

To be honest I've dismissed LPG now. Cheaper than petrol it may be (for now) but it relies on petrochemical industry (non-renewable) and a hydrogen generator is using ordinary tap water as a fuel source. Even if I only achieve hybrid status, its a whole lot cleaner and more or less free.

I do have an instructional sheet aimed at the novice if anyone wants to get involved and construct one.

tomhaigh
80-90 Mem No: 5353

Post by tomhaigh »

I don't understand how this could work

If water is the waste product from burning hydrogen, how can first separating the hydrogen and the water, then effectively re-combining it actually obtain any energy?

manxman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by manxman »

tomhaigh wrote:I don't understand how this could work

If water is the waste product from burning hydrogen, how can first separating the hydrogen and the water, then effectively re-combining it actually obtain any energy?

Basic physics

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another
Syncro 16" doka 2.1i

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I don't understand how this could work
- to put it simply it doesn't.

Sure, 2 parts Hydrogen to 1 part Oxygen is an explosive mix.
But how are you going to deliver enough of the mix to make any difference to your engine power?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

manxman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by manxman »

I'm sure it would work, but it would take a lot of energy (electricity) to brake down the water in to Hydrogen and Oxygen insufficient volume, probably best done with some sort of device at home, then you'd need to collect and compress the gas into some sort of pressure vessel, (more electricity) bit dangerous and difficult I think, then plumb that into your motor.

would be more straight forward and efficient to just to put an electric motor in and a few batteries and run direct of electricity in the first place.
Syncro 16" doka 2.1i

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

well if you forget O2 as there is plenty any way, and just think about hydrogen... you can increase the calorific value of the fuel charge with a small amount of hydrogen... sort of a helping hand..in a standard engine

the power needed to electrolyse the water would only be like a lighting circuit
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Correct Kev.

You need a good enough set up to limit amps and get the best 'fizz' from the HHO generator.

Mind you, if you need any encouragement please see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVNyJFBCxc&NR=1

This above all has convinced me that even LPG is only a short-term solution at best.

ozzy
80-90 Mem No: 1809

Post by ozzy »

Instead of wasting water why not use pi$$ we could collect loads at the vw meets. Im always nipping out for a pi$$ in the night.....udo the cap and ARRRRH
Member number 1809.
now a t4' er

John

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Good idea, drink copious amounts of cider and you should have a good result.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Might improve the electrolyte :lol: