How many ltrs does your tank actually hold

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cornishpete
80-90 Mem No: 4647

How many ltrs does your tank actually hold

Post by cornishpete »

I am going to be gassed at Gasure in early :lol: July and it looks like I will be having the 64lt tank in the wadrobe, I think, due to the conversion of the van, that the 80ltr tank will be a tight fit or i would go with that.
I have read in previous posts that these gas tanks dont hold 64lts of actual fuel but 50lts or there abouts. My next door neighbour has a gassed Volvo estate with a 40ltr tank in the spare wheel space and he claims he actually gets 40lts into it which puzzles me.
How big is your tank and how much does it actually hold? :roll:
Membership number 4647 Put a beggar in a SYNCRO and he'll drive to the devil

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

All tanks fill to 80% thats how they are made and thats how they work safely, a 64ltr tank will hold 51.2 wet litres of LPG and a 70 ltr tank will hold 56 ltr wet.
The 20% vapour layer is a safety issue designed to allow the expansion of the liquid under higher temperatures and pressures.

If your mate has a 40ltr tank and is filling at 40ltrs then the installation is incorrect and more than likely dangerous as the LPG has nowhere to go except out of the over pressure valve, in retrospect I would be suprised if that is not a 50ltr tank, you can check as all tanks have a plate or are stamped with the capacity and size and of course the standard it was made to which worldwide is the R67-01 standard. Some 4 hole tanks fill better than the single hole tanks but only by a few litres.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

RichardU8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by RichardU8 »

I have a tank under the back seat in a Westy. Not as big as I'd ideally like, but the family verdict was wardrobe and cupboard space too useful too lose. Think I usually get about 80% of tank full - but this varies a lot with temperature.
Maybe the real question is availability of LPG fill-ups.
France excellent, Spain poor, UK good in parts. Any idea about Ireland?
The Vogon is a 1987 LHD Westy running on LPG

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Temperature does take a small toll on the amount you get in, if you want to get the most in then you are better filling 1st thing in the morning when the temperature is cool or cold, the liquid gas stays more dense and at a slightly lower pressure, it makes only a couple of litres difference, you may get 54ltrs in in summer but you will get 56ltrs in in winter.

The pressure that the pump is set to also matters a great deal, in the UK it tends to be quite low so you can always squeeze a little more in once the 80% valve kicks in, if you've tried it does push it in very painfully slowly but it does go in, in France the pressure is set much higher but most of the tanks are underground or cooled.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

cornishpete
80-90 Mem No: 4647

Post by cornishpete »

Thanks for the replies...........Steve I know you are busy thats why I didnt mail you direct but thanks. Straight from the horses mouth now I know exactly where I stand.
Membership number 4647 Put a beggar in a SYNCRO and he'll drive to the devil