Lpg already installed - what should I check?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GAML
80-90 Mem No: 0

Lpg already installed - what should I check?

Post by GAML »

Hello Everybody,
When you buy a t25 with lpg already installed, what paper work do you need to make sure it is legal - also is there anything I should check regarding the lpg workings before buying.

Thanks
Graham

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

You should have a pressure vessel certificate for your tank, which has to be renewed every ten years (the certificate - hopefully not the tank!).

Exhaust shouldn't smell too strongly of gas (rich mixture) though some Calor gassy whiff is OK. Ideally you should start it from stone cold and make sure the regulator warms up without any tendency to freeze - this can be a problem on Type25s if not plumbed in correctly. 16 litres of coolant takes a lot of warming up.

The engine should perform ALMOST as well on gas as on petrol - such a small difference that it's hardly noticeable - and should idle and run, if anything, more smoothly on gas than on petrol. If it's a carburettor engine changing from one fuel to the other is a bit of a pain, with a delay as the carb is filled or emptied but on an injected version the change should be almost seamless - even under power.

Can't think of owt else. If you have any specific questions just ask. I'm not an expert but have long experience and a proper wizard only a phone call away!

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

Is your van cooled by water or air as it makes a big difference
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

GAML

Post by GAML »

its a 2.1 water cooled.
Is the pressure vessel certificate the only certificate I need - what does the insrance people want?

Graham

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

And check your bank account to see if there is enough room in it for all the money you will be saving.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

Ideally, an invoice from a professional converter. Some insurance companies are twitchy about self-conversions.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

I would check for a cert from a reputable installer.. most ins co's will require one, you could also find a good LPG installer that will inspect and certificate (if he thinks its safe) and insist on that as part of the sale..

wobbly
80-90 Mem No: 2935

Lpg...it's all new to me!

Post by wobbly »

Just got my first vee dub (at age 41...i'm a late starter!) T25 Leisuredrive camper that was already fitted with a LPG set-up. No paperwork with it and totally untested. I looked in the yellow pages and found a supplier/fitter locally (like 1/4 mile away...lucky) and paid them a visit. They checked my system out,verified all the components and explained the damn thing to me so that i am now enlightened in the ways of methane, although my own methane production has never really been an issue! The guys issued me with an installation/pressure vessel certificate for my insurance and charged me 70 quid all in for the job. Their fuel is 42p a litre so i filled up my 60 litre tank and purred away in my newly gassed camper. Just got to fix that noisy hydraulic tappet now and we're away! This is my first post so hello to everyone and hope to meet you all soon.
Wobbly 8)
member no. 2935

GAML

Post by GAML »

Thanks to everybody for their advice.
I went to see it at the weekend - the lpg tank is where the spare wheel should be. The ground clearance to the tank was just 180mm!!! I checked with lpga website which says that the lpg tank must have >200mm ground clearance with the springs fully depressed.
I advised the seller that I wasn't going to buy the otherwise good T25 and to go back to the idiots who fitted it in the first place.

Graham

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Post by geordie skydiver »

Did it have a cover or was that 180mm to the actual tank?
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

Flibbertigibbet wrote:Is your van cooled by water or air as it makes a big difference

I was not very clear here I meant it makes a difference with certificates and insuranace not with running of van ...mine is Aircooled on gas and runs and starts as well on gas as on petrol and reaches speeds of 85mph (on a race track of course) not bad for a 26 year old vechicle :D
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

GAML

Post by GAML »

It was 180mm to actual tank there was no cover - the cover under the spare wheel had been removed. The bus had been already been lowered by 60mm - I would be scared going over a speed bump in it!

geordie skydiver

Ah, the bus had been lowered!

Did the LPG get fitted before the bus got lowered?
Lee

GAML

Post by GAML »

It should not make any difference wether it is lowered or not. The rules as I understand them are that the tank must still have at least 200mm of clearance when then springs are fully compressed. The bus by the way was already lowered before the lpg had been fitted.

Graham

geordie skydiver

Ok, then they've bodged it.

I was just trying to establish facts.

If it had not of been lowered (shorter springs etc) then this could of made quite some difference (IMHO) :D
Lee