LHD Crewcab

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dangerbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

LHD Crewcab

Post by Dangerbus »

Hi all,

I am intersted in a LHD T25 crewcab (double cab) that might be up for sale in the future.

I am unsure about the engine (whether 1.6, 1.7 or 1.6TD) although I guess the TD is the one to hope for!

I am unsure of it's age, when were crewcabs first built?

Is there anything I should know or look for apart from the usual 2nd hand car buying stuff?

It was orginally from the swiss or belgium and has been used in this country for some time, what do I need to check for with regards paperwork?

I have 2 T25's at the moment so I am pretty familiar with them but not deisels or particulalry crewcabs.

Any advice greatly received however obvious!

DB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

If it's been raining check the locker is dry (ish) - straight and reasonably rust-free panels are mainly what you're looking for, especially around the back and sides, drop-sides etc. - all the DoKa specific bits - they're not too easy or cheap to get.

Because many have been workhorses or workman's vehicles they also tend to come with holes in the most unusual places, sometimes dozens of them in the loadbed, back of the cab etc - a pain to weld or block up neatly, which is really what needs doing. Check the roof for damage too, at the back, obvious reasons...

If a 1.6 or TD, look for low mileage, engines tend to last only 90,000 -100,000 miles many say.

Nice vehicles, you'll be wanting one with a rear door I imagine, drive it, not too noisy and the interior trim not destroyed by hunking great builders either... all the obvious really.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

engines tend to last only 90,000 -100,000 miles many say

I think you'll find it's ONE in particular that says that Clive and the life of the engine will be partly dictated by how it's driven.

With regular servicing and being driven 'in a manner sympathetic to being a diesel' I'd hope the life of the engine would be more 150K and rather less miserable.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Dangerbus

Crewcab

Post by Dangerbus »

Thanks for the info guys,

Harry,

Can you explain what you mean by 'one with a rear door'?

Thanks

DB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Oops - Me wrong !
AFAIK - Dokas come with one rear door, or two (Tristars)
The door can have a fixed window in it or not (?)
Opposite the door, can be a window or not
Tristars have sliding windows in both rear door.

Syncronaut No. 1

Dangerbus

Crewcab

Post by Dangerbus »

Thanks for the explaination...

I guess that rear door means 2nd cab door and two rear doors mean that the 2nd cab is effectively a walk through!

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Cheers

DB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

That's right, you can put the windows in later, but not fun, and a 2nd door, even less fun!

Can corrode due condensation behind trim at bottom of offside non-door panel - if signs on outside just above sill, then it'll need doing - easy enough, but better obv. to get a good one.

Syncronaut No. 1

stuckin88
80-90 Mem No: 134

Post by stuckin88 »

Hi!-regarding paperwork--if it has uk plates & reg doc--ie it was re-registered in uk by whoever imported it-then no probs---if its still on its foreign plates--make sure you get original reg doc & proof of(legal)purchase in its original country--you can check the actual age of vehicle by its chassis number---
Billy...Defected to white box but still lurking.

Dangerbus

Crew Cab

Post by Dangerbus »

Thanks for the info especially on the paper work. The vehicle has no plates at all as it is not used on public roads and as yet I have not got to see any paperwork. I know it has a current mot as the company needs this for insurance! Does this mean that it should have all the necessary paperwork to get a UK MOT?

I am trying to work out what engine it has, I know from the chassis number that it is a 1990 and it is a deseasal but how do I know whether it is a 1.6 or 1.7. Due to it's age do I assume that it is a 1.7!.

It drives well and doesn't whistle so I guess it is a non-turbo model, I can't find an engine code on the block where should I be looking?

Thanks again

DB

stuckin88
80-90 Mem No: 134

Post by stuckin88 »

Phone the DVLA-they are quite helpful--if there is no reg doc-I think you will end up with a number plate starting Q---but regarding receipt/proof of purchace you will need to take advice before handing over money--there is an EU agreement to prevent stolen cars from one country being registered in another---so if there is no record of how the first uk owner aquired the vehicle you may not get it registered---
Billy...Defected to white box but still lurking.