MPG of a 2l Aircooled compared to a 1.9l watercooled?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dublicious
80-90 Mem No: 3542

MPG of a 2l Aircooled compared to a 1.9l watercooled?

Post by dublicious »

Hi Guys,

Considering a lot of campers at the moment but as I am going to be using it as my sole vehicle, which really means a few trips to asda and lots of weekend driving , I am having to think about economy. How does a 2l Aircooled compare to a 1.9l watercooled please? I know from my only 2.1i it was around 27 mpg!

Take care

J

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Re: MPG of a 2l Aircooled compared to a 1.9l watercooled?

Post by dugcati »

ahem ..sorry - have you ever looked at MPG on ANY Aircooled camper?! You DONT buy an Aircooled if you want fuel economy,heating or any kind of speed , and a quiet ride!
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

dublicious
80-90 Mem No: 3542

Post by dublicious »

My old bay 1700 was not great, 20's if lucky. I know a few bay 1600TP with a decent carb setup pushing mid 20's! Heating, speed fair point But you can't beat the sound of an Aircooled

faggie

Post by faggie »

you should get 25mpg on a run at 60mph at least you wont be broken down with head stud problems on the m1 with mild tuning loads faster than a stock 1.9 wbx

Gogso1
80-90 Mem No: 7630

Post by Gogso1 »

I use my air cooled beast as my daily driver and I'm happy if I can eke out 20 mpg.

You'll soon find, however, that the petrol tank volume represented by the red band is disproportionately larger that the rest of the tank. And the thrill of watching the gauge swing around wildly as you go up and down hill, meaning your never sure quite how much is left, adds a frison of excitement to every journey.

Wouldn't change it though!!

Add a dash of propex for heat and, um........I can't actually think of anything for speed other than Benny Hill style music on a constant loop, and you'll have the perfect camper!
Oof!

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

Gogso1 wrote:I use my air cooled beast as my daily driver and I'm happy if I can eke out 20 mpg.

likewise - there are so many people out there that seem to claim much higher mpg's from an Aircooled
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

jake1953
80-90 Mem No: 6196

Post by jake1953 »

Gogso1 wrote:You'll soon find, however, that the petrol tank volume represented by the red band is disproportionately larger that the rest of the tank. And the thrill of watching the gauge swing around wildly as you go up and down hill, meaning your never sure quite how much is left, adds a frison of excitement to every journey.

wonderfully put. Really made me laugh

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

[quote="dugcati" there are so many people out there that seem to claim much higher mpg's from an Aircooled [/quote]

not just Aircooled there's some very erroneous figures quoted out there for all engine types, remember folks if you change the tyre size from standard the odometer will be wrong

riffboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by riffboy »

they are not great on fuel to be honest but there is something about air cooled motors which makes you not really care! And as for speed, i have seem 85 outta my 2litre cu more than once. Only for very short periods of time lol but it will do it! Also the heaters on mine are really good although i cant turn em off!
When the last ounce of truth has fled, nought is left but the sum of lies.............

dansimpson
80-90 Mem No: 8552

Post by dansimpson »

My 1.9 wbx gets a tad above 20mpg on a run, but around the doors, short journeys I'm lucky if I get 16mpg!
But its still fun and worth every penny and if they put fuel up to £20 per gallon it'll still be fun!!
1990 1.9dg tintop....back in the fold.....

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

My 1.9 DG WBX gives the low to middle 20's if driven with a degree of respect; i.e. 55mph tops. Dont buy any of these [air or wbx if you are looking for cheap motoring] 'cos it wont happen. But if you want a nice,comforable van to do your travels in, then aT25's is the one to go for

Basically, its all about your right foot at the end of the day, reading the road and allowing for idiots....

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

My 1.9 DG WBX gives the low to middle 20's if driven with a degree of respect; i.e. 55mph tops. Dont buy any of these [air or wbx if you are looking for cheap motoring] 'cos it wont happen. But if you want a nice,roomy and comfortable van to do your travels in, then a T25 is the one to go for

Basically, its all about your right foot at the end of the day, reading the road and allowing for idiots....