Jacking question

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Jacking question

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Got a question for anyone who has jacked up their T25 and put it on axel stands.

Could I lift my T25 hightop with 2 x 2 tonne trolley jacks and then hold it safely in the air on 4 x 2 tonne axel stands?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks, Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Jacking question

Post by Hacksawbob »

Ideally you would have something beefier. On one stand with 3 wheels resting you have 1/4 weight of the van. However it is possible to raise one corner so you have a higher % resting on the one stand. The last hightop I had weighed in at about 2.5 tonnes by memory, so weight wise you should still be all right in theory depending on the weight of your van. Once you have both sides on 2X 2 tonne jacks you shold be OK. However the smaller jacks just dont look so solid to me. You'd be better off with 3 or 6 tonne stands from machine mart, £20 for a bit of piece of mind. also smaller trolley jacks dont always have the lift to get it high enough.
member 1168

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

See what you are getting at Hacksawbob. Its the jacks that are expensive when I have access to 2 x 2tonned trolley jacks and 2 tonne axel stands.

I may give it a go with 2 x 2tonne stands and 2 x 3tonne stands (from machine mart) Then jack up using 2 x 2tonne jacks. Think I will keep all wheels on for a bit while I see how confident it sits, if I get it up at all.

My van doesn't have an engine so should be lighter and zero interior other than drivers seats and bases. It does have gearbox and bell housing though.

Cheers for the advice. Would you say putting the jacks and stands on 1 or 2 flags to get the van higher is just pushing it?

I will be leaving those spare wheels under, just incase!!

Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

It wouldn't be my preferred way to crush my head, flags crack rather easily, a bit of unevenness between floor and flag could create stress that doesn't show til your working on the van. Your call. Is your future is not worth a £100 investment? sell them on when your done. 3 tonne jacks should get you high enough without packing it out. What sort of work are you doing?
member 1168

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I want to scrub the underside completely and treat. I am sure I will invest in the 3 tonne axel stands. Just asking really so I know and you've deffinitely made me think sensibly. The bus is on a flagged surface already but they are laid properly so hopefully they wont crack. I will be putting the wheels under too along with bricks just to be sure. Got a welder starting some work soon, I just can't wait to starts the bits that I am capable of doing

Jon.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

get a pair of these
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... ar-ramps-2
sheet plywood down trolley jack a corner at a time and get a stand under the out rigger, stand sat on the ply will stop any probs with the paving, dont use bricks or breeze blocks for anything except builing bloody walls!
Ive seen your van and stood in it and I reckon the 3 of us could just about pick an end up, also do as suggested and store the wheels under it.
mike, ps wigan welder must be desperate or feeling pity as thats a price id have his arm off for, he has got arms
M

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Cheers Mike good tip about the plywood and I will get those stands for sure!!

He says he can repair the inner sill, jacking point and the gap you can see from the front arch. Then fit the new lower B post and outer sill.

I can only see how it goes after then first job and I will post some pics so you can let me know what you think. I will be with him every step of the way so I can get a detailed thread going (hopefully)

Jon.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Yep, watch him and learn, well hopefully anyhow.
mike