Which brake fluid should I be using?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fidget
80-90 Mem No: 9027

Which brake fluid should I be using?

Post by fidget »

Hi all

Going to be replacing the calipers this weekend and will need to bleed them, which brake fluid should I be using . I looked in the wiki but couldnt find anything , also managed to leave my haynes manual at work so cant check that either

thanks in advance

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Which brake fluid should I be using?

Post by AdrianC »

fidget wrote:Going to be replacing the calipers this weekend and will need to bleed them, which brake fluid should I be using . I looked in the wiki but couldnt find anything , also managed to leave my haynes manual at work so cant check that either

DOT4. It's the stuff that's easiest to get, anyway.

DOT3 is a lower boiling point.
DOT5 is silicone based, very difficult to bleed, and needs the complete system rebuilding before being used.
DOT5.1 is compatible with DOT3/4, but expensive and a bit unnecessary unless you're building something for track days. Which is certainly an interesting concept... <grin>

Don't forget to change it every two years, since it's hygroscopic, and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere - reducing the boiling point and causing internal corrosion of cylinders & calipers.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fidget
80-90 Mem No: 9027

Post by fidget »

Thanks Adrian

Off up the road to get some now

thanks

James
If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

As he said....DOT 4....starting from the furthest wheel from the master cylinder (thats the N/S/R on a R/H/D) then O/S/F then N/S/F finishing with O/S/F. About a litre should do it.
I tend to revisit the first cylinder (because the fluid was the old stuff in the resevoir) and give it a few extra pumps at the end to ensure it's new fluid is coming through, makes sense if you think about it.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx