2wd Doka handling with slide in camper

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dokamper

2wd Doka handling with slide in camper

Post by Dokamper »

Hey everyone!

I have an old pickup and slide in camper. The pickup is heading into retirement so I need a new one. Stumbled upon a really nice 1.6TD 2wd Doka and am contemplating its suitability for this task.
I've always liked VW buses and the prospect of being able to drive around in one AND have the space and superior insulation of my camper is really tempting! I haven't seen anyone put a camper on a Doka here in Scandinavia, only a few pics from Germany that Google found for me. Have some questions for you...

First, the handling. A normal pickup like the one I have has way too little weight on the back wheels normally, resulting in poor handling in the winter. When I put the camper on it really helps the handling a lot and I stop slipping and sliding all over the place. Traction is good too.
The Doka has its engine all the way in the back, right? What happens to the handling when I put a, say, 600kg camper on it that juts out about 80cm from the rear of the car? I'm not technically minded at all, and have no experience with rear engined cars. Just wondering if the handling would be affected, since there's an awful lot of weight on the back axle and not much at all at the front?

I'm also a bit worried about center of gravity. The Doka's bed is quite high up because of the rear engine so the COG will be higher than I'm used to. Probably not too high, but does anyone have opinions on this? I'll attach some pictures of my current pickup and camper. It's extremely low in comparison with most pickup/camper combinations, so it's probably just me being a bit overly anxious.

Have more questions but will start with these ones. Thankful for any advice!

Cazz
80-90 Mem No: 8997

Re: 2wd Doka handling with slide in camper

Post by Cazz »

Have a look at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80863
1986 1600TD Westfalia Multivan.

Dokamper

Post by Dokamper »

Nice pics!

I'm still looking for opinions on the matters I wrote about in my first post. Went ahead and bought the Doka anyway now. Couldn't resist! Gonna put some Air Lift airbags in the rear to help stabilize the load. Anybody have experience with them?

Cazz
80-90 Mem No: 8997

Post by Cazz »

Sorry, should have also said hello and welcome
It was a coincident that I read your post then later found those pics, i'm afraid I have no info for you though. Good luck with your project.
1986 1600TD Westfalia Multivan.