does k seal work??? or rad seal

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chilipig66

does k seal work??? or rad seal

Post by chilipig66 »

hi
ive got a small leak in my rad and another one on the water jacket gasket and rather than take the head off or drop the rad i was going to try and use some kind of rad/gasket seal first but in the wiki and other forums they have suggested a few different ones,,,,k seal?? waynes??
do they work??? which is the best for a 1.9 wasser petrol
thanks for any replys

dansimpson
80-90 Mem No: 8552

Re: does k seal work??? or rad seal

Post by dansimpson »

Hi mate
Different people will have there own views on which works or not for them.
I've succesfully used K Seal on previous cars, most notably a rover with a leaky pump seal and head gasket weep, it stopped it completely and I used the car for another 15k miles before selling it.
My opinion is its worth a try if its a minor leak, but you need to be aware although K seal and others may advertise as a permanent repair its essential you keep an eye on the water level, and as others may point out, it's not as good/rteliable as a proper fix.
Just for interest, I add K Seal to every vehicle I get now, before a problem develops, hoping it may act as a preventive measure if a minor leak starts, it should stop it up. I've never had any water loss probs since I started doing it - but can't hand on heart say that its done the job - who knows if i would have had a problem if I didnt add it, if you see what i mean
Dan
1990 1.9dg tintop....back in the fold.....

chilipig66

Post by chilipig66 »

thanks dan
i had come to the conclusion that to spend 15 or so pounds on a k seal was going to be easier than taking the head off as im a little worried what ill find or mess up!!! im ok at taking the rad off but tappits and push rods are alot more of an issue for me ,,k seal it is then ,hopefully it will work and i think ill do the same from now on and add it as a precaution

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

Used K seal on the van last year due to a slight leak from the radiator...Have done 3000 miles since with no leaks.

Mark
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

K seal every time, £10.99 Europarts.
1y Tin top rust collector.

chilipig66

Post by chilipig66 »

it worked ..... well spent the day fixing leaks then finding more but fingers crossed k seal worked plus with a few new jubilee clip as there were all rusted and dripping fluid under the body ,thanks to you all for the advice

telsony
80-90 Mem No: 5998

Post by telsony »

Will not work on water jacket waste off money.

chilipig66

Post by chilipig66 »

its early days ,well a few hours ago but the water jacket leak stopped.if it works well worth 6.99 plus 20 % bloody vat
if not ive learnt a new lesson!!!!!!!

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

did it fix your water jacket? how bad was the leak? a couple of 10p pieces every day while standing, (not running)?
Das AutoWagen.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The problem with a temporary repair like this is you never really know if or when it is going to fail again....next time in the middle of nowhere or in a traffic jam on your way down to Perranporth beach . Now personally I couldn't be doing with the uncertainty and although I accept any number of things could randomly fail, relying on a vehicle with a known fault as serious as this doesn't make sense....in my opinion.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

California Dreamin wrote:The problem with a temporary repair like this is you never really know if or when it is going to fail again....next time in the middle of nowhere or in a traffic jam on your way down to Perranporth beach . Now personally I couldn't be doing with the uncertainty and although I accept any number of things could randomly fail, relying on a vehicle with a known fault as serious as this doesn't make sense....in my opinion.

Totally agree with Martin, how can you plan anything when you know there's a timebomb sat in the back ?

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

I think, for some it works, for others it doesn't and results may vary.
Das AutoWagen.