Put diesel in my petrol tank - dont panic!

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Put diesel in my petrol tank - dont panic!

Post by Oldjets »

Had a slight senior moment at weekend while filling up and put a six litres of diesel in the petrol tank of my 1.9DG before I realised what I was doing.

After a slight panic, I filled on up with petrol, reasoning that in a full tank, the diesel would be well diluted down. I was also hoping that the rugged, simple design of my trusty DG would be able to cope with a slightly dodgy fuel mix much better than a modern engine with its fuel injection and lots of sensitive electronics. I'm pleased to report that it did! Did a 80 mile loaded run straight away, taking it easy for the first few miles, but then just driving as normal on A roads at around 45-55. I couldn't detect any difference in the way the van was running, no hesitation, misfiring or lack of power.

Just thought I mention it, in case someone else does the same - no need to call the AA out or drain the tank - seems a little bit of the wrong fuel shouldn't be a problem.

Oldjets

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Re: Put diesel in my petrol tank - dont panic!

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Happened to me in Spain, well meaning forecourt attendant assumed that black fuel cap meant diesel.... Unfortunately he'd put in about 40 litres by the time I noticed ( I was checking oild and filling up washer bottle and the like). I know I asked for Gasolina, but my accent must be really bad.

I rang the AA and they said up to a couple of gallons diluted in a full tank shouldn't be a problem, but advised me to get mine drained and flushed due to the amount. Went off to Almeria on a flatbed truck to a great little garage who did it there and then in a couple of hours for the princely sum of 50 Yo Yos cash. They even put a couple of gallons of petrol in to get me to the nearest filling station.

I learned a valuable lesson that day though, try and dispense fuel myself and have a "sin plomb" sticker for the filler neck
What a long strange trip it's been