Advice on thinking of buying an 87 Autosleeper 1.9 petrol

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

njr70

Advice on thinking of buying an 87 Autosleeper 1.9 petrol

Post by njr70 »

Hi,
Can anyone please offer some advice. We are looking to buy a T25 Camper before Christmas and have 5 thousand cash to spend. We have looked at three over the past two weeks, (1.6 diesel turbos ) as I am led to believe the engines are good but all have had bad body work so we have not persued them. I have seen an advert for a 1987 T25 Autosleeper that looks to have great body work and the owner has had it eight years, it is a 1.9 water cooled engine and the owner will take 5 thousand when it is advertised at 5995.
From reading some of your questions and answers I am now concerned that the 1.9 water cooled engine will not be a good option but I am tied as the body work is in very good condition compared to the diesel turbos I have seen for the same price. Can anyone give me some advice on the 1.9 engine option please and do you think it would he a good option?

Thanks, Chris

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Advice on thinking of buying an 87 Autosleeper 1.9 petrol

Post by 1664 »

I had a 1.9 petrol automatic and it never gave me any trouble (well, the gearbox did but not the engine). Different horses for different courses but by your own admission it has a good body and frankly that's more than half the battle so unless it was recently resprayed I'd be erring towards it if I was in your shoes (providing everything checks out). Autosleepers are a nice conversion too - hightop or pop top?
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I had the 1.9 in my 'sleeper

I have to say the 1.9 goes for ever as long as it's well looked after (serviced regular)
For me you are correct to want the great bodywork that would be my first requisite too.. petrol engines are easily replaced, easily upgraded and easily made very very economical.
poor bodywork is a pain in the bum, you'll be chasing dragons throughout its life

with a petrol you have loads of options..
you can enjoy the engine until way off in the future (maybe 250,000m) it dies
Or for economy you can have it converted to LPG, which gives roughly the same power and MPG, but returns around 40 mpg (in real terms)
you can upgrade to the 2.1, which was widely fitted to the caravelle this has 112 bhp as opposed to 76 bhp, it's a straight swap all you need is the engine.

'sleepers are ace campers with top quality camping toys.

buy it
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Agreed, buy it! (and get it lpg'd at Gasure)

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

Body work is loads more important. Engines just bolt in and out but to remove rust costs ££££££ more than replacing repairing the engine. As said get it gassed and your away.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

get it,they are great bits of kit
Nil carborundum illegitimi

njr70

Post by njr70 »

Thanks for all the advice. It has really thrown me now as i've found a 1.6 diesel for 4000 which looks to have good body work, a diesel engine but poor interior, I can work on the interior myself though. You have all re assured me about about the 1.9 petrol, thanks again (and it is a high top.)

Chris

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

njr70 wrote: . . . a 1.6 diesel for 4000 which looks to have good body work, a diesel engine but poor interior . . .

Is it a turbo diesel? Got any photos of the interior?

Tony

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

Mick & Tracey
80-90 Mem No: 3830

Post by Mick & Tracey »

We both a 1.9 camper and 1.6 diesel multivan (wife's daily driver).

My advice would be firstly look at and drive them and then buy the van you like most - they are all different. Diesels drive differently to petrols - petrol is a lot quieter. Fuel consumption on our 1.9 is around 25mpg, the diesel gives 35mpg. Most diesels are LHD - may or may not be an issue for you. Speed wise, nothing in it realistically, unless you get a 2.1 petrol

As others have said, bodywork is probably top priority, then either mechanicals or interior - really depends what you feel most comfortable fixing.

Reliability is largely down to van condition - no hard and fast rules but I'd say petrol is easier / cheaper to fix if it goes wrong. Petrols can be a pain if exhaust needs replacing and studs are corroded.

Re: gasing - all depends if you're happy to lose your under seat storage for the tank to go on.

At you budget - expect to compromise on something and beware a van that looks too good to be true.

But above all, enjoy it. They are great fun vehicles and when you love them, any niggles are easily forgotten.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

njr70 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. It has really thrown me now as i've found a 1.6 diesel for 4000 which looks to have good body work, a diesel engine but poor interior, I can work on the interior myself though. You have all re assured me about about the 1.9 petrol, thanks again (and it is a high top.)

Chris

If its not a turbo... it's ruddy slow
how much would you spend on an interior to an Autosleeper standard would be my point.

the sleeper is plug and play don't faff about for months on end fitting interiors when you can camp now
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Mick & Tracey wrote:Re: gasing - all depends if you're happy to lose your under seat storage for the tank to go on.

There's a choice of places where the tank can be fitted.

Tony

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

kevtherev wrote:If its not a turbo... it's ruddy slow

And possibly over-priced by the sounds of it?

Tony

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Mick & Tracey wrote:Speed wise, nothing in it realistically
you either have an exceptional diesel or a very tired petrol......
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

meggles

Post by meggles »

Just got an autosleeper. 1.9 petrol. Great bit of kit. Pleasure to own. Had a 1.6 diesel. Slow but economical. My opinion is that if you buy something with a good interior and good mechanics you can get an interior off ebay and fit it yourself. You'll then know exactly whats underneath all the fixtures and fittings!
As suggested earlier, service regularly and with decent parts.