Fitting a radio aerial

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

custardwaggonman
80-90 Mem No: 8940

Fitting a radio aerial

Post by custardwaggonman »

Hi all,

New T25 owner, first time poster, sorry for the divvy-ish question.

I want to fit a new radio aerial to my T25 but how do I access the hole on the passenger side to fit it? The only two ways in seem to be taking the headlight out or removing the dashboard. I have a working CD player fitted so hopefully it should just be a case of screwing in the new aerial and locating a trailing radio aerial at the back of the CD unit?

All tips and offers of help gratefully received!

Cheers

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Re: Fitting a radio aerial

Post by langb20 »

Hi,
On the existing aerial (assuming you have one), pop off the cover and unscrew the retainer screw, there will be a top mount also that you can probably slip the aerial out of. Then pull off the aerial and the wire that goes down into the pillar, what i'd do is attach a piece of string to the plug end (bit that goes into the back of the radio) first so when you pull the wire completely out, you can then attach the string to the new one and pull the string so it goes back the way it came - which is down the 'A' pillar and underneath the dash where the rest of the wires are. screw the new antenae to the bodywork and job done (or maybe even apply a cheeky bit of sealant for good measure) then have a cup of tea (with music on)
good luck,
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

What kind of aerial is it? Is it pillar mounted (as described by the member above) or the standard fitting on the front panel?

custardwaggonman

Hi,
Thanks for the rapid replies.

Unfortunately, there's no aerial currently there - just a hole covered in gaffer tape. I do have the mounting (angled bit with black rubber base and fitting screw) which housed the old aerial - is this fitted externally without rooting around underneath?

Assuming I can find some kind of trailing aerial wire (are they purple?) from the back of the CD unit, is just a case of feeding this through the mass of wiring inside the dashboard or do I go in through the front grille?

Cheers

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

ah right, so behind the gaffer tape on the pillar you should have a 10mm round hole and a 2mm one. The plug end of the aerial goes in the 10mm hole, need to send it down the pillar and have someone grab the other end from under the dash and feed that over to your radio. the 2mm hole is where the screw goes in to hold the aerial to the bodywork. hope that makes sense
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

Funkyoid
80-90 Mem No: 7392

Post by Funkyoid »

I have a pillar mounted aerial and when I undid the screw the wire wasnt secured and it droped down, so nothing to attach a new one too!

How do you access the pillar, is it through the grill or do I need to fiddle in dash? Just don't want to start pulling dash if I can get to it via grill and headlight.

Any help would be really appreciated.

OH - my mate doesn't have an aerial so which would be best to install, a pillar mounted or a front mount. Can anyone recommend a pillar one to buy for me too and IF front mount is better one of those too?

Thanks

Beckie
‘81 2.0ltr air cooled automatic Devon Camper - Gladys
‘81 2.0ltr air cooled manual Doka - Basma

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

I found the easiest way to get at it from the inside was to take the 2 rubber retaining straps off the glovebox so that it opens up all the way. With the glovebox out of the way I took the screws out of the fusebox and pushed it out of the way. I could then get my hand to the inside of the pillar where the ariel comes through to undo / re tighten the retaining screw. I did it on my own. No need for a second pair of hands.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Funkyoid
80-90 Mem No: 7392

Post by Funkyoid »

cheers for that, will give it a go at the wkend!
‘81 2.0ltr air cooled automatic Devon Camper - Gladys
‘81 2.0ltr air cooled manual Doka - Basma

stephmac

Post by stephmac »

Another handy topic

custardwaggonman

Hi all,

I followed 72 bug's advice and went in through the glovebox, then unscrewed the fuseboox and managed to fit it that way. No need to go the exterior route via grille etc

Result!

Thanks for all your ideas and help

John

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Torkijo
80-90 Mem No: 8332

Post by Torkijo »

langb20 wrote:Hi,
On the existing aerial (assuming you have one), pop off the cover and unscrew the retainer screw, there will be a top mount also that you can probably slip the aerial out of. Then pull off the aerial and the wire that goes down into the pillar, what i'd do is attach a piece of string to the plug end (bit that goes into the back of the radio) first so when you pull the wire completely out, you can then attach the string to the new one and pull the string so it goes back the way it came - which is down the 'A' pillar and underneath the dash where the rest of the wires are. screw the new antenae to the bodywork and job done (or maybe even apply a cheeky bit of sealant for good measure) then have a cup of tea (with music on)
good luck,
Brent

Hi

Did this today and worked a treat - but would add make sure you use decent string as mine got cut so had to open up dash to see where it was.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I just fitted a brickwerks Ariel to the front panel of mine.
What i did was, remove headlight, remove cowl over speedo, feed Ariel down through gap behind speedo and aim for the hole behind headlight, once through I went around to front and pushed up through hole on front panel. The lead is then pulled through by pulling out ashtray and feeding lead into radio.
Seemed the only way possible on mine, due to length of Ariel.
Only took half hour at the most
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you