grinding stone on drill, how to remove rubbery stuff?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

grinding stone on drill, how to remove rubbery stuff?

Post by xpress »

something interesting, on the front of the van, seems to be this white rubbery stuff, maybe they used an epoxy/plastic/rubber mix paint to help with the stone chips, (which is basically useless because they still happen) however it might have helped with cushioning the impact. when grinding out little stone chips to bare metal, the grinding stones get this rubbery coating then they're useless! trying to grind the rubber off by grinding the stone on a brick or on the floor, but the rubber is very hard to come off! any ideas? tried a penknife, how about erm .. cellulose thinners, that stuff you use on bodyfiller?
Das AutoWagen.

ianboydsnr
80-90 Mem No: 8542

Re: grinding stone on drill, how to remove rubbery stuff?

Post by ianboydsnr »

xpress wrote:something interesting, on the front of the van, seems to be this white rubbery stuff, maybe they used an epoxy/plastic/rubber mix paint to help with the stone chips, (which is basically useless because they still happen) however it might have helped with cushioning the impact. when grinding out little stone chips to bare metal, the grinding stones get this rubbery coating then they're useless! trying to grind the rubber off by grinding the stone on a brick or on the floor, but the rubber is very hard to come off! any ideas? tried a penknife, how about erm .. cellulose thinners, that stuff you use on bodyfiller?

sounds like its underseal, if it is, I use a heatgun to soften, then a scraper, its still difficult to do though

gordy

Post by gordy »

heat gun and scraper like suggested or get a rust/paint remover for ya grinder weird flexi thing but works a treat

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

The stuff you are dealing with is Flexable stone guard, a proper seam sealer which can literally hold a car together....and as you are finding is a bugger to remove...

Go to any reputable body shop suppliers in your area and ask for a 'Mule Skinner', a mule skinner is a wire wheel coated in resin when used in conjunction with a mandrel and then fitted to any drill will help you remove any stubben deposits.

http://www.qpaints.co.uk/catalogsearch/ ... le+skinner

As above...

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,

Used daily in body shops up and down the country......
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

thank you, the mystery is being solved! funny thing is, it's not much deeper than the paint. am i to assume i should be replacing the stoneguard when grinding rust spots down to bare metal or is it ok to just high build red oxide prime?
Das AutoWagen.

meggles

Post by meggles »

xpress wrote:thank you, the mystery is being solved! funny thing is, it's not much deeper than the paint. am i to assume i should be replacing the stoneguard when grinding rust spots down to bare metal or is it ok to just high build red oxide prime?
Just don't cover any rust with the stonechip coating. It will rot unseen. I would definately put some more on, it's a flexible protection. My brother was a fantastic paint sprayer and swore by (and sometimes at) this stuff.