blown sideways

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

grumfuttock

Re: blown sideways

Post by grumfuttock »

first of all, no tyre company worth its salt would be unable to get your wheel nuts off.
secondly, they would know what the correct tyre pressure should be.
thirdly, if you are unsure of your ability to control the vehicle, you should not be driving the bloody thing!

avant-garde
80-90 Mem No: 7731

Post by avant-garde »

The tyre people used their compressed air wrenches, then went with sockets and long pipes for leverage etc, etc, etc. They tried everything!

I didn't ask them what the tyre pressure was as we had to kill 3 hrs in Keswick (long story)- but yeah, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have no issues with my ability as a driver - just the wind and a van that swerves all over the road if there is more than a light breeze. I drove back from Scotland to Cornwall without crashing - enough said about my ability to drive

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

aye tyre pressures are critical but regardless of that lowering and replacing shocks will be the single best thing you will do to your van

it will drive so much better esp in high winds

for your kit go to

www.brickwerks.co.uk
98 Westfalia James Cook

EarthWormJim
80-90 Mem No: 2885

Post by EarthWormJim »

Our tin top gets blown about a bit and theres not really any weight in it either Its only at 60mph+ when it gets a bit scary all I do is back off to about 50-55 mph keep a light grip on the steering wheel its no good hangin on and gettin white knuckles as I cant feel whats goin on and keep over to the left when i see on comin lorries and caravans. Thats just my experience (only been drivin the van since April this year) and it seems to work for me
1.9DF 4 Speed LPG 1984 tintop
Walking around in the back ground tripping over the bloody cat

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

The van has felt like it is moving but I can honestly say it has never noticeably swerved even in a gale going over the M62 to Yorkie land

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

The day I picked up my van was a wild windy day. On the downhill stretch of the "new" Dobwalls bypass, +70mph and a few gusts of wind nearly had me needing fresh underwear. I put it down to driving too fast and not being used to how a T25 handled side winds. A few months later the van failed its MOT because both the drop links on the front anti-roll bar were snapped!

The van still "weaves" a bit in a gale, but not enough to be too scary. If your's is weaving in light winds I'd go with checking:-
All suspension bushes, particularly front radius rod rubber bushes, ball-joints, rod-end, rack etc.

One other thing that might make a difference is how much stuff you pack into the roof. The more weight high up, the more sensitive the van will be to side winds.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

KamperKev
80-90 Mem No: 8678

Post by KamperKev »

We get some quite severe winds here in North Wales and sure we get buffeted about quite a bit but thought it was all part of the fun. Will get all the linkages checked etc and would love to lower and get a spoiler!
Hightop Leisuredrive
1700 Diesel

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I used to have a standard Type 2 van. It got blown every which way even in slight wind or overtaking a truck. I now have a pop top that has a front spoiler and side planks and a lowered suspension. The difference is amazing. It really has to be blowing hard out there to affect me now. Good luck.
Patrick