Emergency Spares Box

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

y30man5
80-90 Mem No: 6432

Emergency Spares Box

Post by y30man5 »

Hi everyone,

I was chatting to a friendly RAC man the other day and he was telling me about a call out he had made to a Bay window Camper that this guy had hired out. The clutch cable had gone and it was late Saturday night, so he told the guy that he was pretty much screwed for the weekend. The guy then said, " Hang on a minute" and went into the van and fetched out a box of parts, and sure enough, there was a clutch cable in there. The RAC man fitted it and they were on their way! It turns out that this company supplied an emergency spares box full of parts that typically go wrong.

So, here's my question... You're making up your own "Emergency Spares Box" for your T25, what's in the box?
1983 1.9DG Petrol Transporter

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Emergency Spares Box

Post by Ian Hulley »

y30man5 wrote: So, here's my question... You're making up your own "Emergency Spares Box" for your T25, what's in the box?

This has been covered many times, I think it was last in 'Camping' if you try a search there. I have a plentifull stock of wbx spares which travel Europe with us, and the tools to fit them.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

y30man5 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was chatting to a friendly RAC man the other day and he was telling me about a call out he had made to a Bay window Camper that this guy had hired out. The clutch cable had gone and it was late Saturday night, so he told the guy that he was pretty much screwed for the weekend. The guy then said, " Hang on a minute" and went into the van and fetched out a box of parts, and sure enough, there was a clutch cable in there. The RAC man fitted it and they were on their way! It turns out that this company supplied an emergency spares box full of parts that typically go wrong.

So, here's my question... You're making up your own "Emergency Spares Box" for your T25, what's in the box?

As well as a decent set of tools, I carry all sorts of bits. However the basic spares have to be throttle cable, clutch cable (where applicable), fan belt, bulb kit, spare fuses, fuel filter, glue, gaffer tape and a good breakdown service. Cold beers can also be useful in hot weather, when waiting for the breakdown truck!

Patrick

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

After a brief search I found my original post ...

Ian Hulley wrote:
anaconda wrote:...do you guys have any particular preparations for the van before heading south?....which spares would you take?

Been done before BUT I give it a thorough service and inspection and carry .....

Tools (a fold out case containing spanners, sockets, pliers, allen keys etc)
oil
anti-freeze
brake/clutch fluid
instant metal kit
bulb kit
fan belt
accelerator cable
gaffer tape
pvc tape
plugs
leads
cap
alternator brush pack
ignition switch
various relays
ignition module
starter motor
self-amalgamating hose repair tape
engine bay hoses
brake/clutch pipe making/repair kit
fuses,wire,crimps
clutch slave & master cylinder
brake rear cylinder
water pump
thermostat housing
assorted nuts/bolts/washers
assorted jubilee clips

Bearing in mind these are the spares I've collected over 6 years and most live either in the van full-time or in the shed of plenty.

Ian

There ya go

If the van is well seviced you'll normally be fine. You can't legislate for major component failure (we lost the gearbox near Brussels 4 years ago) but the rest you can generally cover.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

y30man5
80-90 Mem No: 6432

Post by y30man5 »

Didn't realise the topic had been covered before...

Thanks for re-posting it though.
1983 1.9DG Petrol Transporter

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

...and a REFLECTIVE jacket (and wear it!) a torch and warning triangle (NOT placed by your van, but 100m back, as appropriate!)....please
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288