Buying advice for a first time van owner please

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

daveye
80-90 Mem No: 0

Buying advice for a first time van owner please

Post by daveye »

Hello all. What a great and informative forum. Havent even got a van yet but after watching the "paint you van with a roller" video I'm excited already!

I wondered whether you could give me some advice. I have decided to buy a van. After looking at peoples vans at festivals and on campsites I have decided that the T25 is the van for me. Way more practical and in my opinion way cooler than other VW's.

The problem that I have is that I cannot get a grip on pricing and, just when i do, it seems to be shattered as a van I am watching on ebay or elsewhere fails to sell for what the seller and what I thought it would.

Anyway, cut a long story short, I have found a guywho is a frind of a friend up north who has a VW T3 Westfalia Joker for sale. It is a 1984 LHD from Germany with a 1.9 watercooled petrol engine that has done just under 100,000 miles. It is clean and tidy with no or very little rust. It really is our ideal van as it looks nice, its not rusty and the layout is ideal.

These are my questions. 1) He wants £5150 for it - is this reasonable for the spec 2) Will this type of van hold it's valu (providing the asking price is realistic!) 3) Are there any known problems or weak points that I need to look out for on this model 4) Generally, are they any good and would it make a good first van.

Any help appreciated as I am champing at the bit to get a van!!!!!

Thanks

D
Is it just me or are these T25's complicated when you first get em'...........?
1983 T25 Westfalia

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Buying advice for a first time van owner please

Post by Ian Hulley »

Good morning, welcome to the forum

You may find this ... http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Mi ... yers_guide of use

£5000 is a lot of money for a 1984 van, it'd have to be UBER mint to be near that much. The 1.9 petrol is not the ideal engine being a tad shy on the horse-power department, but if the rest of the vans a minter it's up to you. The Westy followers will be able to give you a better idea of what they fetch.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

daveye

Post by daveye »

This is the problem i am up against being new to this. From what Ive seen, £4 - £5k seems ok but then again I dont know enough! I was thinking that If I could get it for £4900 or £4800 it would be a good deal as the van is very tidy but now..........................

What in your opinions would be a good price.

Also, is Vanfest a good place to find vans to buy or just to look and learn?

Thanks in advance
1983 T25 Westfalia

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

If it's a nice straight van and the body is in reasonable condition £5,150 is on the cheap side.
The value could be closer to the £6500 mark but obviously condition is everything.
Westfalia conversions command much higher prices than others and much more again compared to home brew conversions.
Mint examples can sell from £8,000 to £9,000
Of all the conversions Westfalia hold their money the best.
The 1.9 petrol engine isn't the best but is adequate, properly maintained they are reliable enough, most owners complain about the mpg (between 20-25mpg on a run) less around town but a LPG conversion can effectively take that up to 40mpg (going on LPG fuel price compared to petrol)
Conversion costs around £1200 but can be recouped in 12,000 miles of driving.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Also, is Vanfest a good place to find vans to buy or just to look and learn?

Good to view, not to buy, as they always seem high in price.

3) Are there any known problems or weak points that I need to look out for on this model 4) Generally, are they any good and would it make a good first van.

The only real problem with them is they dont have a toaster
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

daveye

Post by daveye »

Even on here there are already two differing views on price - What crazy VW world am i entering
1983 T25 Westfalia

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

daveye wrote:Even on here there are already two differing views on price - What crazy VW world am i entering

Martin will have a MUCH better idea of what they fetch ... I've never been in a position to afford one and driving a lot in the UK didn't want a lhd van anyway.

Condition is everything.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

daveye if you fill in your profile and tell us where abouts in the world you are there may be someone local to you (or the van you're going to look at) who can give you a few pointers.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

daveye

Post by daveye »

In the loverly conurbation that is the West Midlands One thing I forgot to ask as well is that I have seen some vans that look really nice with the skirts\ bottom trims. Are these good to have or are they just a hassle \ easily damaged.

Thanks
1983 T25 Westfalia

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

What part of brummyland are you in?
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

daveye wrote: One thing I forgot to ask as well is that I have seen some vans that look really nice with the skirts\ bottom trims. Are these good to have or are they just a hassle \ easily damaged.

They may look nice but they hide rust and hold salty moisture against the bodywork causing the greater-spotted tin worm.

As with everything else in this crazy VW camping world, hightop v tintop v poptop, Westy v Autosleeper v Screwfix special it's horses for courses.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

There is of course the old saying 'that something is only worth what people are willing to pay' having said this, of all the conversions Westfalia's generally are the most desireable and as such fetch higher prices, that's not to say that they are necessarily worth it but demand does push up prices.
There are a number of 'extra's that do add value to a Westie: Big mirrors, Big bumpers, light blenders, 4 light setup. I say this as unlike other models (I'm generalising here) when buying extra's most Westy owners take there vans to the newest latest spec alla Atlantic being the latest highest spec of all, so side planks, original Carat wheels etc seem to be the vogue. Keep it standard tho as some mods may actually de-value your ride.
The Westy effect does have positives and negatives:
The positive is that if you buy a goodun it will keep/increase in price, however, the negative is that it needs to be kept in the same condition to fetch the good money otherwise you can find yourself owning something worth half as much as you paid for it.

Based on description the money sounds good but have it checked out by someone in the know......body is soooo important, engine less so.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

My advise for what its worth !

Body condition is THE most important consideration.....

Rust can kill a van, or send you mad with worry
If you can get someone who has owned one to come along with you, or have a read in the WIKI, This will tell you where to look ( under the front floor mats, around windows, in the middle of panels etc etc,) these van's tend to rust from inside out !

Then mechanics ( pay particular attention to the condition of the exhaust ! ) A new exhaust could cost upto £600 and require the engine to be dropped out if things go bad....which they have a habbit of doing

Then what conversion do you want, as said before Westfarlia are regarded ( rightly or wrongly , personal choice )as the nicest conversions, having things like double glazed windows, interior heating, and factory like quality of fittings but will be left hand drive and the 2.1 petrol has a ' unfamiliar ' non standard 5 speed gearbox selection, with first being in a different place.

I personally would have a westy.... but unfortunately my funds wouldnt allow, so i went for the best condition bodywork that I could find, the 1.9 petrol engine in mine is plenty fast enough to break the speed limit but fuel consumption is rubbish.
My friends 2.1 Westy is a lot nicer to drive especially having power steering but cost £5k more than mine ! and I still think that she got a good deal

Good luck, the right van will give you many happy memories, the wrong one may send you grey and to the bankrupt court

Martin.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989