Looking for a N part number hose

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Looking for a N part number hose

Post by Cruz »

N90128703

Hose is no longer available from VW in the UK

Classicparts search system is a nightmare searching for N part numbers

Etos lists it as 25x3,5x58 hose which I assume is a 25mm internal bore and 58cm long

I assume I could get a metre of coolant hose and cut it to length, or eve silicone hose from ebay?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Looking for a N part number hose

Post by Aidan »

wys

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

wys??

Does that mean 'what you said'? As in silicone from fleabay??

I take it if need be I could use 32mm silicone hose to replace the NLA N90166601 pipe that went from the front to back water pipes to the radiator??

Incidentally I am also after a gasket that is NLA N90128802

How the hell do you find N parts on Classic parts?? Every combination of spaces and numbers I put in comes up with bugger all

E D I T: Found it. Had to type in N 901 then luckily it was in the first 50 results

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Looks like you've done all the work in this thread Cruz. Nightmare hoses are. I think, given the long time these T25s have been in circulation, silicon hoses are a good idea. They are costly and bends add a whole new dimension, but if VW has given up on them I think its time we all took a smart approach to replacing them and perhaps start posting solutions for the ones that go regularly.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

I have no problems with my water system (touches massive plank of wood) but a few weeks ago I came to a decision to keep my eye out for any hoses that come up for sale here or on ebay.

As I have the very first water cooled system (van produced in 82) I decided to source the 2nd generation early pipes and bleeder valve that run around the back of the engine bay from rad pipes on 83 to 85 vans, as well as any other generic early system pipes that pop up.

So far I have a spare of every early system hose/pipe (plus bleeder valve and any gaskets) both rubber and metal except

025121180a

and even these are available from classic parts (not cheap) so when my topcashback account cash reaches the required level (soon) I will place an order for these. Then no coolant hose problem should keep me off the road for long

My crowing glory was getting the pipes and bleeder valve in the picture below for just £45 delivered from germany

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Post by icosahedron »

I don't see the logic in replacing rotten hoses with half-rotten ones from fleabay. Perhaps it is because my setup is non-standard as I converted my van from air to water-cooled 21 years ago. So far I've replaced all my hoses as they go with silicone hoses from places like Demon Tweeks. With all the elbows, reducers and T-pieces available, one is able to make up just about any system. Cost may be higher initially but you end up with a better quality, new replacement that is easily maintained in the future.

Makes your engine look racey too!

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

None of the rubber pipes I have bought from ebay are half rotten. They are all A1

Exact silicone replica's are the way forward if you have money to burn but I expect my originals to last a good few years longer than the 27 they have done so far. So i think I am covered for a hell of a long time with the 2nd hand back up rubber hoses and new back up metal pipes I have found. If any hose does go then I can be back on the road in no time without having to cobble together a compromise silicone replacement out of various parts.

Less joints mean less leaks, surely?

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Post by icosahedron »

It is not the outside appearance of the hose that matters. A silicone hose goes once the reinforcement within fails. Unless one knows the mileage of the donor engine there is no way of telling.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

They feel solid, as solid as some new ones I have. If my original goes, then the replacement goes I'll go silicone

back to the original N number I have found that brickwerks sell a silicone version with two clips