Rolling road result!

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gypo
80-90 Mem No: 9543

Re: Rolling road result!

Post by gypo »

Anyone recommend somewhere in the South Wales area for tuning, rolling road etc?
Cheers
G
T25 1.9 Petrol 1985 Homebrew

marcus_asparagus
80-90 Mem No: 2884

Post by marcus_asparagus »

Gypo,

I can highly recommend this chap..........

http://www.mosleysgarage.co.uk/rollingroad.asp

Vince is the guy to speak to, very helpful and knows his stuff. Had mine rolling roaded not so long ago, top man.
Oh and very local to me but I live in West Wales! He is in Llandeilo, so end of M4 and turn right.

Not too sure if you would get a hightop in there though so worth a phonecall first.

Good luck and tell us the results!

Mark.
If passing pop in kettle always on!
Member No.2884
1.9DG Kamper fitted with Dellorto 40's!
Wife's T5 174 axe Caravelle.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

I'm always a little sceptical about 'tuning' as most modern vehicles are almost completely void of any adjustments.
In the persuit of low maintenance engines practically run themselves through the ECU.

Early air cooled stuff have a multitude of adjustment: idle timing/mechanical advance/dwell angle/tappets/plug gaps/idle mixture/running mixture by jets/carb ballance etc in the days when everything was high maintenance and adjustable.
But newer injection stuff ie: Injection 2.1 Digifant/Digijet, has little of no fuel adjustment/hydraulic self adjusting tappets, ECU controlled fueling/timing in the main.

What I am getting at is that don't be fooled by the title 'tuning' as they don't have very much to go at and where you will probably be wasteing you money, unless it's a service you are after.
Most of it is good maintenance, replacing filters/plugs and lube.
This applies to standard factory motors unless things have been modified ie: solid lifters, special distributors and carb conversions which obviously give more control over adjustments and settings where you will feel a difference.

Martin
Last edited by Red Westie on 15 Nov 2010, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

marcus_asparagus wrote:Gypo,

I can highly recommend this chap..........

http://www.mosleysgarage.co.uk/rollingroad.asp

Vince is the guy to speak to, very helpful and knows his stuff. Had mine rolling roaded not so long ago, top man.
Oh and very local to me but I live in West Wales! He is in Llandeilo, so end of M4 and turn right.

Not too sure if you would get a hightop in there though so worth a phonecall first.

Good luck and tell us the results!

Mark.

WHS^

Had Vince do two of mine when i lived near Brynamman.

VERY switched on bloke. Everytime you go there there is always top end classic rally cars worth $$$ so obviously a trusted bloke.

On LHS before you get to bridge by railway tracks.

Be warned though , the courtesy car is not very trendy

gypo
80-90 Mem No: 9543

Post by gypo »

Thanks people for the info. i will give him a ring and see what he has to say.
Cheers
G
T25 1.9 Petrol 1985 Homebrew

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

If anyone in the south east is looking for a rolling road I can recommend B D Engineering near Sittingbourne. I recently had my buggy engine tuned and they found an extra 10hp well worth a visit and good hourly rates. V happy.

buggy engine DG 1915 scat c25 cam, solid lifters, twin dellortos 104.3 hp
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

vince in llandeilo, tommy in abercynon and morris bach in mtm are your options. i will say though that you will get different result and hp figures from all of them. i know of cars that have gone straight from one to another without touching anything on the car and gained 10 hp. all the engines i`ve built have out performed similar spec engines that have showed more hp on other rollers. tommy is further away from me than the others but he has always had the best results with my rally cars and less hp to boot. clever guy.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.