Nightmare GSF Parts

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

northantsandy
80-90 Mem No: 7444

Nightmare GSF Parts

Post by northantsandy »

Hi everyone
Had a bit of a frustrating week re: GSF parts. I have put the van into a local Vw Camper mechanic, there has been leaking of clutch/brake fluid for the last month, so finally tried to get it fixed. The guy fixing it has had a nightmare with GSF and the quality of their parts (clutch cylinder). Ist cylinder was the wrong type, they sent a brake cylinder, 2nd cylinder was faulty, 3rd cylinder was fitted but then couldn't bleed the brakes- then realised some holes in the cylinder were not the same as the original and was a poor copy.
I am missing the van and the poor guy fixing it must be getting sick of fitting the cylinders- are the problems we are facing regular with other members? is the quality of GSF parts usually so poor? Which company supply the best quality parts?

Northantsandy
1988 Autohomes Komet Hi top
Running on LPG

dj biz r
80-90 Mem No: 8022

Re: Nightmare GSF Parts

Post by dj biz r »

a lot of parts are cheaper made will do copies ,for alot of things this is standard practice for aftermarket parts some bits they do they will have proper part more expensive but probably better.but i think you need to know options available.sure there,l be a bit red faced and sort your mechanic out! i bet he gives them alot of custom!.hope you get van back soon.

northantsandy

Post by northantsandy »

Cheers dj
The mechanic was far from happy with them. Its frustrating but I suppose it has to be accepted. If some of these companies are going to make copies why can't they make good copies.

Northants
Running on LPG

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

I got one from euro car parts a while back still on van and no problems!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Damien
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6747

Post by Damien »

Recently had a mare with a starter motor from GSF, the 2 mounting holes were 105mm apart when they should be 100mm. Swapped it for another one and it was fine???

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

We are lucky to have such a wide range of spare parts available for our what some people would describe as obsolete old bangers. When you run such a vehicle you need some workshop facilities and DIY skills or you just have to trust your paid help and fork out.
Cheers
Wolfie the pragmatist
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

mike_gee32
80-90 Mem No: 455

Post by mike_gee32 »

I get most of my van bits from Brickwerks but I'd use Central Auto Supplies (CAS) for anything else.
Member no. 455

northantsandy

Post by northantsandy »

I think that the 4th brake cylinder is coming from Central Auto Supplies tomorrow. I appreciate that the availability of spares is better than it has been in the past, but there are so many examples of the same spare part having minor differences. I unfortunately don't have the time, skill, garage, experience or inclination to adapt and fettle parts and rely on the garage/mechanic getting the parts. I appreciate that this will prove an expensive method but I'll live with it.

Northants
Running on LPG

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

northantsandy wrote:I think that the 4th brake cylinder is coming from Central Auto Supplies tomorrow. I appreciate that the availability of spares is better than it has been in the past, but there are so many examples of the same spare part having minor differences. I unfortunately don't have the time, skill, garage, experience or inclination to adapt and fettle parts and rely on the garage/mechanic getting the parts. I appreciate that this will prove an expensive method but I'll live with it.

Northants

Thats why people use Baxter where possible 'cos he's already spent the time sourcing parts that fit and you'll save in the long run as the mechanic will only have to fit it once.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

mike_gee32
80-90 Mem No: 455

Post by mike_gee32 »

Thats why people use Baxter where possible 'cos he's already spent the time sourcing parts that fit and you'll save in the long run as the mechanic will only have to fit it once.
Thats why I use Baxter for all my non service van bits, I used to be a manager for CAS and had the advantage of getting bits for cost :D didn't stop me spending a small fortune with him over the years.
Member no. 455