Is there a t25 that will fit in our 1820mm garage??

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kay

Is there a t25 that will fit in our 1820mm garage??

Post by kay »

Please excuse my ignorance :oops: , but I just can't find the answer to my 'stumpy garage' problem. (The opening mechanism reduces the 'getting in to the garage' height to 1820mm).
I'm looking to buy a van, but really want it to be kept snug and cosy, all year round...
The only promising info i've found out so far, is that the 'Carat' model measures 1735 (info found on Wikipedia), so, is this my only option?? There don't seem to be many of them about.

Hoping there might be some answers out there?

Thanks. Kx.

DrHfuhruhurr
80-90 Mem No: 7607

Re: Is there a t25 that will fit in our 1820mm garage??

Post by DrHfuhruhurr »

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along in a mo, but I would imagine that:

A "Carat" could be wikipedia-ese for anything with a tin roof (i.e. no poptop or highroof). So a caravelle, a panel van, multivan etc etc should be similar in height. Plenty of those around :)

E D I T: You may want to ignore the above as the documents for our Multivan say height is 1960mm. Hmm, I don't quite see how, even allowing for lower suspension, a Carat could be 140mm lower..! Somebody's measurements are wrong but I don't know whose. Sorry.
1990 "Bluestar" Multivan 2.1ss - work in progress.

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

As far as I can ascertain (correct me if I'm wrong) "Carat" was an options pack available in the USA which consisted of - Lowered stance, Mags, PS,PW,PM,PB,PL, Air, Cruise,cloth seats/door panels,tint,plastic trim, and that little Carat script on the back deck.

Basically with regads to the original question it was a lowered tintop. I believe the standard height for a tintop is around 1960mm which would make it too high. So what you need to be looking for is a lowered tintop van. However that would mean lowering it by 140mm :shock:

Now I basically know nothing about lowering but I've heard of people talk about lowering 60mm being quite extreme.

In short I think you'd be very lucky to get a T25 which would fit in your garage.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

a carat will be on -30 factory springs and 205/70/14 tyres(smaller than 185/82/14)
and the carat / caravelle model also have a lot of weight on board compared to a panel van, so the carat / caravelle will be the lower models

meehaja
80-90 Mem No: 7856

Post by meehaja »

When the council modernised all the garages in the town I was from, they put up and over doors on, which caused a lot of people similar problems to you, prior to this they had split, hinged opening doors (one on the left, one on the right). This free'd up height and some felt was also more secure. I know it seems like a big job, but if long term use is a plan, maybe converting the door would be a cheaper option?
1982 A/C 2.0 Bright Orange Panel Van.

kay

Post by kay »

Thanks so much for these replies - really very kind of you all to offer advice.

No definitive answer though I guess. Short of getting my hands on a manual for a 'Carat' I think I'll never know. (FYI, I had read that the 'Carat's were only made 1990 and 1991 - and yes, they're the 'posh' models.)

Re changing the garage door, I was really hoping to avoid it, but it's looking like that might have to be the way to go - I've fallen hook, line and sinker for these vans.

Just to confuse issues further, we've looked at a caravelle tin-top that's up for sale - it's been lowered (don't know by how much), and the owner says the height is 1860mm. So close!! I wonder how it manages to come in at that height though..?

Thanks again to all of you. Very much appreciated. It was my first ever forum post, (on any website!), so I was delighted to get replies. :mrgreen:

Kx

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

kay wrote:
No definitive answer though I guess.
Kx
Wow! :roll:

We are a helpful polite forum, so:

NO!! There is not a t25 that will fit in a 1820 mm hight garage.

Caravelle Carat say 1950mm high.
Caravelle CG, Caravelle CL also 1950 mm.
Caravelle C is 1960 mm.
Delivery van is 1965 mm.

All measurements are from original sales brochure.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

kay

Post by kay »

:oops: Thank you. It's definitive now. :oops:

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

I raised this about a few months ago about my council garage.

I lowered mine and got low profile tyres on and still no go inthe garage. It would just creep under if the doors were open swing out instead of up and over!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The things we are prepared to do just to house our vans! :lol: Even to the extent of altering the house...too right. If you want it sooo bad, change the door. :ok
PS even if it was on pneumatic suspension, with the arches tubbed like the T2D vandals, you'd never get it under what is basically a 5' 11" 5/8 beam.

kay

Post by kay »

:wink: Thank you for your nice comments. The garage door is now 'under review'. It's the only way to go... :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Chickenkoop has a similar problem with his up and over door so we're going to remove it as well as the concrete lintel above which will be replaced by braced and bolted angle-iron. With open out doors, this will actually give him the clearance he needs even with his glass fibre camper top. Has to be cheaper to do that in the long run surely.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Think it was eddie waring that had a thing about 'up and unders' :rofl
mike

4gearwonder
80-90 Mem No: 4604

Post by 4gearwonder »

Hi Kay,

Read your post quickly and not quite sure if this is your own garage or a council one you are talking about, but we had the same dilemmia when getting our Bilbo flip roof one to fit into a Council garage.

Basically we just drove around the town where we live kept a look out for any garages that were slightly taller then the average ones. As all heights aren't always standard, you might get lucky and also find one that will accomodate your potential one?

When saw ones that looked like they'd might fit?, done a quick measure up, took all the numbers of garages and then approached the council asking if any of the aforementioned were free. Bingo!, :D got lucky and found one that fits great. It's about a mile from home, but when get the van out, just swap the car over, start the van and then you're off!

All best in your search though! :D

Cheers. 4GW

kay

Post by kay »

:ok
Thanks again for your replies - it's given me a lot to think about...
:idea
K