Thermostat housings - Now available from VW Classic Parts

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Thermostat housings - Now available from VW Classic Parts

Post by silverbullet »

I'm considering getting these re-made in cast aluminium (instead of the unreliable plastic ones) to a common pattern which could be drilled for either application. Unless someone else is already on the case?
Question - how much demand is there? Are VAG ones still on back order? Are folks getting desperate?
Anyone got a cracked/dead one of each that I can send to the foundry for a quote?
Just trying to help the cause :ok
Add names below and I'll take it from here...
Last edited by silverbullet on 09 Mar 2010, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Thermostat housings for 1.9/2.1 - want a metal one?

Post by Aidan »

contact Simon at Brickwerks as this is probably already in the pipeline.............no use reinventing the wheel

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Except mine would actually look like the original one and not end up costing anything like that much! $160??? more like £160 by the time you've paid the shipping and transaction fees :shock:
I was thinking more like £80-90 tops. Well they would be, wouldn't they? :ok

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clartsonly »

Aidan wrote:contact Simon at Brickwerks as this is probably already in the pipeline.............no use reinventing the wheel

of course there is a point in re-inventing the wheel if there is money to be made, my neighbour is considering doing the same and flogging them on ebay at £80 a shot. It would cost him next to nothing as he gets the metal and machine use for free.

they do sell some in germany 80 euros for the bottom and a plastic top 15 euros. secondhand plastic shot ones cost more than 50.

do it make 10 and see how they sell, if I need one I wouldn't mind paying £80 for a decent one.
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

i have a new old stock one (2.1) complete with seal kit...

you can have it for £100 deliverd!

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

exactly my point make 10 for £100, keep the one you need and sell 9 of them for £80 each.

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

billy739 wrote:you mean like this one ......

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1 ... using.html

this is no different to the ones from germany it still requires a top

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

what I meant was that these may have already gone to the machine shop for production and will be available soon, it would be a pity to spend the time and money and effort setting up the cnc only to find someone else can offer them cheaper or similarly priced backed by liability insurance, but it maybe that Ian could supply Simon and increase his market penetration that way and satisfy everyone, hence my suggestion he contact him.
Baxter has had loads of stuff made especially for us, both 2wd and syncro, either because originals nla or ridiculously priced

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ok - I've had a chat with Simon. The story is : He doesn't want to tie up a load of cash in another venture just now; Classic parts may about to reintroduce them, but were cagey about the whole thing; OEM suppliers to VW won't talk to anyone - its a closed shop.
If anyone would be so kind as to furnish me with some dead ones of each type (1.9 or 2.1, screw-in or push-in sensors etc) I will investigate whether it's possible / sensible to make a universal master which can be cast in LM25 alloy and machined to suit any type.
None of the hot-rod fully machined bullshot, just a simplified design that gets everyone out of trouble in the long run. No more plastic nastyness.

clartsonly wrote: my neighbour is considering doing the same and flogging them on ebay at £80 a shot. It would cost him next to nothing as he gets the metal and machine use for free.
I can't compete with that. There are too many people blagging and others expecting good work for free. Not me.

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

the problem with the nasty plastic ones is even unused ones will become brittle due to the nature of bacolite becoming brittle with age I am not sure it is with use.

my top is bolted / corroded to the bottom I managed to remove it from the engine change the bolts for new ones and a bit of glue on the plastic crack have put it back on.

even broken ones are £50 on ebay.

make some, you will sell them over time, as soon as someone needs to check a thermostat they will break the housing trying to remove it. I wasn't sure about the push in sensors on a metal housing will the metal housing not already be earth/negative? / is that why they are currently made of bacolite?

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

got a syncro ally one here and a plastic top you can use. i will need details of where to send it. gowesty also do a replacement but $160 plus blah blah blah :wink:

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

ricicles wrote:got a syncro ally one here and a plastic top you can use. i will need details of where to send it. gowesty also do a replacement but $160 plus blah blah blah :wink:
Well done that man! Anyone else care to help out? I need to see all the variants to make sure that no-one gets left out in the cold - make that hot and bothered :lol:
Follow the link on my signature for the works address :ok

PS clart - it's "bakelite" and the VW ones are glass loaded (reinforced) nylon or GLN as far as I know. It degrades with long-term heat exposure...a/c heater diverter parts are bakelite, though.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

right....think I have a plastic 2.1 one somewhere.....its not brilliant...and I am not sure where it is.....can I have it back when you have finished with it? Will try and look it out for you. Think I also have the old style 1.9 (metal one) in the garage...

oh - and deffo interested in metal ones..

Em
x

:ok
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

the syncro housing is syncro spercific, it's metle and the sencor for the ECU is a screw (bolt) in type where on a 2wd it is push in type held in with a clip. i have a spair syncro sencor if that would help. in order to make it universal the input from the oil cooler on a 2.1 will have to have some sort of cap on it for use on the 1.9 that can be removed for use on a 2.1. something like a hollow tube that is caped and could be cut of if needed.

let me know about the sencor, you only about half an hour from me down the A3.

neil

oh and did you ever find the front lights that you wanted i have a set on my doka if you want a closer look :D
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van