best jack

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

trebormint
80-90 Mem No: 7712

best jack

Post by trebormint »

I have a van but no jack. Should I source an original or would I be better off buying a new one that maybe more suitable. Any recommendations?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: best jack

Post by kevtherev »

yes get an original, but consider also a two tonne trolly jack for home use
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Home use? Mines in the back 24/7. To be honest its a huge jack but a smaller 2-ton and a stout piece of hardwood (in case you need more height than the jack can supply) is a good thing to have onboard. Alternative is a bottle jack but they can be unstable. Definately NOT a scissor jack - seen one collapse once - scared the hell out of me.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bunnynogood
80-90 Mem No: 5189

Post by bunnynogood »

Just extending this thread as I have similar question..

As I need a jack that can start low (for the Rocco) but also go higher for the van, would this one go high enough ?

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... ctid=13541

The price is massively reduced as a xmas offer so it's tempting, but only if it goes high enough.

Cheers !

Dave V
Only old Fools left in this van overnight

\/
( *)
`'

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

450mm is pretty reasonable, just measure your jacking point from the floor and extrapolate, the 2 tonne one I have which MachineMart no longer does is very similar to that Sealey and it's ok on the syncro, though to be fair I hardly use it now as I find the Hi-Lift jack quicker and easier for getting it in the air and then pop a MachineMart 6 tonne axle stand under, I find trolley jacks often get in the way of placing axle stands and I don't like to jack the trailing arm and load the suspension as the syncros are bad enough for breaking spring pig tails as it is

bunnynogood

Post by bunnynogood »

Cheers Aidan. from other forum posts it looks like this jack along with some extra stout hardwood blocks should cover the fairly big range needed to get it all done with a single jack. I could of course lower the van as well ..

On the subject of axle stands. 6Ton ! Just to be sure I assume ?

\/
( *)
`'

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

6 tonnes, aye it's not so much for the weight it's for the reach, these are mega sturdy and will go upto 60cm so you can get the van well in the air for say doing a gearbox change especially when you aren't a compact person like me I hate feeling enclosed and not having room to turn, banging head on floor etc.. and don't forget the syncros are that bit higher to start with so the shorter axle stands aren't much taller than the chassis is anyway, they are cheap enough about £28/pair on a vat free day, and being ratchet type are easier to use and safer than the pin type ones - the old 1 ton ones just aren't long enough and then you end up using bits of wood etc.. compromising safety, (and the chinese welding looks like it was done by a blind man's dog) these are well sturdy, decent base to height ratio, as I say easy to use and I feel I can trust them; when we were working on the dodoka we had the whole shell sat on 4 of them. I work on my own a lot so have to be sure things are safe, I can't take any risks and get injured as I'm self employed and if I'm at the lockup 20 miles away and drop a van on me first anyone will know will be the obit.
I dropped a car on myself aged 17 working on sissor jack, got away with it (Fiat 126's are light ) and learnt the lesson
obviously no use for your car or a much lowered van
Last edited by Aidan on 25 Jan 2011, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

bunnynogood

Post by bunnynogood »

Aidan.. thanks for giong the whole hog with the explanation on this. I had been pondering the merits of the pin VS ratched for the axle stands. Folks opinions deem divided on safety. I think it's a pair of 3 ton stands, ratchet equipped for me now though. Standard van with (Autohomes) hightop so that should do it I reckon.

Cheers

Dave V

\/
( *)
`'

Nomadd1001
80-90 Mem No: 7095

Post by Nomadd1001 »

,,,,,,,,,,Daniels.

Gets my vote every time.

1981 tintop 2.0 Aircooled..............don't pull out on me. you are my crumple zone!!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I carry the original jack and it served me well when I ripped a tyre on a kerb edge. Get everything to hand so the van is only jacked up for the minimum amount of time and bob's your uncle.

I have no idea where I would put a trolley jack. I have no free space a it is

StuM
80-90 Mem No: 8281

Post by StuM »

I use this one at home:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... sion-jacks

I've got a 2 tonne one too which is smaller, but the lift isn't great for the van. Oh, and the original jack is in the boot, but I really should check that works as it's not moved since buying the van!
ex-1985 Type 2 T3 Transporter - 1.9 DG - The Van's Blog

richieadkins
80-90 Mem No: 6900

Post by richieadkins »

.........Daniels gets my vote too!
1982 Leisure Drive hi-top 1.9 N/A 1Y.
http://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Adkins/