Many Thanks

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Many Thanks

Post by gutmeg »

Hi Ladies & Gents
Many Thanks for help las week,regarding fuel not getting to carb I topped up carb with small qauntity of petrol as suggested and it worked brilliant!
I am in need of a chemical rust teratment and noted that Vactan is the pregferred choice and you can get of EBay.
Can anybody tell me what I have to put in address bar to get details, as I have tried vrious ways and all come back as no resultslong continue.

Thanks for the assistance the club is a real delight, may it long continue.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Many Thanks

Post by kevtherev »

As an aside
What are your expectations with these chemical rust treatments?

A very old method of protecting metal from rusting is through chemical conversion. Blacksmiths were probably the first to discover this procedure when they coated their tools with oil and then heated them in a forge. This process created a very hard coating on the tool's surface, protecting it from rust. Known later as "magnetite," this very hard form of iron oxide is one of the most effective means of eliminating rust. And because magnetite is chemically inert, it does not react with oxygen or moisture.
Which we all know is the culprit for rust.

Finnigans No1, Rust doctor, dinitrol fe-123 are all products that do this chemically
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ojsmith
80-90 Mem No: 6492

Post by ojsmith »

what about kurust? any good?

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

gutmeg wrote: I am in need of a chemical rust teratment and noted that Vactan is the pregferred choice and you can get of EBay.
Can anybody tell me what I have to put in address bar to get details, as I have tried vrious ways and all come back as no results long continue.

Just log into ebay and then type vactan into the ebay search bar and search "all categories". Produces 16 hits / listings for vactan at present.

My own personal experience of vactan is that it's only effective for about a month and then the rust starts coming through it again, but as you know others on here think it's the mut's nuts.

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

kevtherev wrote: A very old method of protecting metal from rusting is through chemical conversion. Blacksmiths were probably the first to discover this procedure when they coated their tools with oil and then heated them in a forge. This process created a very hard coating on the tool's surface, protecting it from rust.

A method also used by Chinese chefs to treat their woks, coat with nut oil and super heat till it's permanently coated. You'll never catch a chinky chef using Hammerite on their wok :lol:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

link here

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here

http://www.paco-systems.co.uk/vactan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Post by gutmeg »

Thanks for the assistance guys I put in car & accessories under the category on E Bay, so maybe that is why I never got any results.
Regards to you all, and happy Driving with no probs!
Another question please, I need to replace my fuel hoses, is there a place I should get them from JS GSK ?
Any ideas?
Thanks
LLoyd

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Realising that Vactans chief ingredient is tannin, I once tried (as an experiment) leaving a wet, used teabag on a rusty piece of metal and sure enough it sent it black. Try it yourself. I would imagine that thats more or less what vactan does but with an acrylic solution which dries and seals the area. Works anyway :D Many of the other treatments suggest a coat of primer straight afterwards whereas vactan is an all-in-one and therefore ideal for our purposes.

Vactan has a shelf life of one year by the way.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

I would still paint over vactan at the first possible opportunity

We are now in salt season :shock:
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Especially in Bromsgrove - they use SAXA down your way :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.