How much would an auto electrician charge...

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

How much would an auto electrician charge...

Post by samk »

.. to fit a leisure battery, split charger system and check over the camping interior electrics? water pump etc?

I know it could be a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario but maybe someone on here has had similar done recently?

Thanks,

sam
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

Fozzie
80-90 Mem No: 6650

Re: How much would an auto electrician charge...

Post by Fozzie »

Might help to say what you've got already. My Autohomes has a control panel on the upper locker (above the side window), and a Zig unit there. It also has a leisure battery under the passenger seat, where there's a relay (which I imagine supplies the fridge). Any idea how much of this you have in yours? It should all be fairly DIY doable if you're that way inclined (and as a T25 owner of course you are!)

Cafnod
80-90 Mem No: 7507

Post by Cafnod »

Where are you? Perhaps someone on here would do a skill swap with you or perhaps you have some spares, storage space or whatever to trade.
As a ball park figure I would charge about £200 for that work with you paying for the battery and the larger consumables like relays and any heavy cables.
However if any real horrors were found in the electrics it could cost more, for example it might be a home made camper with speaker cable connected up like washing lines as we call runs of unsupported wiring in the trade.
HTH

samk

Post by samk »

Hi Cafnod and Fozzie,

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a zig unit or control panel. At the moment I have the standard car battery and a section in the kitchen unit for wiring up the fridge, water pump etc to either the car battery or leisure battery.

I would get everything before hand so would just need it fitting - oh, and i'd probably get my speakers re wired because they were done by the previous owner and the are certainly washing lined!!

P.S I'm in london - on the border if islington and Hackney
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

Fozzie
80-90 Mem No: 6650

Post by Fozzie »

samk wrote:P.S I'm in london - on the border if islington and Hackney

You have PM.

Cafnod

Post by Cafnod »

Hi
Bit far for me, London left the place a long time ago.
I am sure Jim will help you out as he is local.
When I meant washing lines our last n/boat had part of the mains wired up with speaker cable in unsupported runs.

samk

Post by samk »

Bit far for me, London left the place a long time ago.
I am sure Jim will help you out as he is local.
When I meant washing lines our last n/boat had part of the mains wired up with speaker cable in unsupported runs.

ok, thanks! One things for sure, the speakers werent wired up that well!

Cafnod

Post by Cafnod »

Seriously if you get stuck let me know, I am ripping the van apart to do the windows and a wheel arch and give it a respray from the gutter line down in about three weeks.
I wouldnt mind a wander round where I grew up which isnt far from you. A parkup and somewhere safe to put tools would be good.