Handy product

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sendiw
80-90 Mem No: 435

Handy product

Post by sendiw »

Came across this product and thought it may be of interest to some of you. :idea:

http://www.bailcast.com/en-gb/products/ ... solarguard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Handy product

Post by CovKid »

Probably should go in 'chat' this post. Solar chargers aren't new but the gadget to restore sulphated batteries - think I'd need firm scientific evidence that it actually worked :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

Cant comment about the science of it all but the company is UK based in case of any problems. I notice they also do a seperate battery rejuvenator product. Would be interesting to hear from someone who has used these products. Maybe when I'm feeling flush I will treat myself to one and let you know.
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

CovKid wrote:Probably should go in 'chat' this post. Solar chargers aren't new but the gadget to restore sulphated batteries - think I'd need firm scientific evidence that it actually worked :D
It doesn't restore a sulphated battery (if the desulphater is any good the amount of drain from it will not be replaced by the puny charger) it just keeps the battery from getting discharged through small drains thus the battery does not get sulphated - if you want to desulphate a battery you will need a proper gizmo (easy enough to build yourself - I have a 110Ah battery that I am desulphating at present)).
I have a 40w solar panel to keep my batteries up to spec - that one posted is one hell of a steep price for a 2.4w solar charger!

(Why does the spell checker think that sulphur and sulphated are incorrect spellings?)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

cheaper at maplins
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Exactly the same solar panel I purchased from Maplins for £12.99.....(was a special, think they are normally £17.99)

I've got two smaller 1.5watt panels for sale £4.00 & £7.00 if anyone is interested.

Completely useless as a charger but very good for preventing battery sulphation if the vehicle is left standing for weeks on end.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

Hmmm. ..I see. I wont bother with one then. Thanks for the enlightenment folks. :shock:
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

Nice one Richie, looks like you have won this weeks coconut for useful gadgets.......

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

treacle
80-90 Mem No: 6610

Post by treacle »

Completely useless as a charger i have one on my van and it was a waste of money :run

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

Fritz wrote:Nice one Richie, looks like you have won this weeks coconut for useful gadgets.......

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,
I'm getting quite a collection of these coconuts. Maybe I should start making my own Bounties.
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Give the magnets on fuel lines a go. The manufacturer speaks very highly of them :D Seriously though, there does seem some evidence that a desulphator can revitalise an ailing battery but not sure its not cheaper to just get a new battery in the end. I too have a solar trickle charger but its yet to work as it claims and its been in the van six months :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You might care to peruse the forums here http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yuku.com - it's not all snake oil,rocking horse poo etc. :mrgreen:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Ayup.....when I said they were completely useless as a charger I didn't mean they 'COMPLETLY USELESS full stop.
I happen to believe they are extremely useful in maintaining charge when parked up and are essential for battery longevity. If you use your camper 'as I do' sporadicly , sometimes 3-4 times in one week and other times, sat there not started for several weeks. This is very typical Camper Use and so these solar panels come highly recommended.
So rather than put you off I would whole heartedly recommend you get one or even two. REALLY..... :ok

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I think you're right Martin but the tiny ones don't seem much use in my opinion. I've got a voltmeter fitted and panel or no panel voltage still drops. This might improve with a bigger panel though.

sendiw

Post by sendiw »

I think I will just put my trickle charger on when the van is laid up. That firm mainly do cv boots/kits etc.. worth a look.
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435