Where to buy wire and stuff..

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Helga
80-90 Mem No: 6114

Where to buy wire and stuff..

Post by Helga »

Hi, a quick question here. Doing stuff on the van I often find I need auto fuses and bits of wire and other little electrical goodies: but where do you buy these things from? I have been using stuff lying about, but fast running out... so where? Flea bay?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Where to buy wire and stuff..

Post by CovKid »

Maplins do some although everything in Maplins is about a third to half as much as you'd consider it to be worth. Ebay definately. Also never throw away long cables such as those that fit electric mowers - you can strip the insulation and get some good T25 length cables that way :ok
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cafnod
80-90 Mem No: 7507

Post by Cafnod »

Vehicle wiring products offer a good range and will sell you anything from a bulbto a heavy duty battery isolator
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... mepage.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or go to your nearest motor factor, autoelectrician.

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Post by psychonaut »

You beat me to it Cafnod, there the people i use for all my electrical bits, excellent and fast friendly service in heaps, i thoroughly recommend them :D
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

Helga

Post by Helga »

Thanks guys, that website looks good - in fact going to buy some fuses etc as a test purchase now. BUT they have fuses that say "continuous 5 amps / Fusing 10 amps"... what does that mean? Is that a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse?

Helga

Post by Helga »

Oh, and the ceramic fuses they have there on line... are they the same size as VW ones for my van? :)

Cafnod
80-90 Mem No: 7507

Post by Cafnod »

Helga wrote:Thanks guys, that website looks good - in fact going to buy some fuses etc as a test purchase now. BUT they have fuses that say "continuous 5 amps / Fusing 10 amps"... what does that mean? Is that a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse?

Probably a surge blow fuse, certain things have a higher current draw when starting than they use when running, motors are a good example, so you put in a surge blow fuse; when the item is switched on it has an initial surge on startup, commonly up to double its running current, and then it runs at the rated current, if it exceeds the usual running current for any length of time the fuse blows just like a standard fuse. Surge blow fuses have a thicker coil of wire at one end to absorb the startup current, I have only ever seen glass ones, although there is no reason other types cannot exist
Is that clear?
Hi Psy, Ive used them for years too, frighteningly I am pretty sure it is about twenty years.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Helga wrote:Thanks guys, that website looks good - in fact going to buy some fuses etc as a test purchase now. BUT they have fuses that say "continuous 5 amps / Fusing 10 amps"... what does that mean? Is that a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse?

Thats how fuses are rated, Ceramic and blade type fuses are rated at their continuous current their blow rating is twice the continuous current, the old glass fuses are rated at there blow current their continues current is half the blow current. So
An 8 amp ceramic or blade fuse will offer minimal resistance up to 8 amps and then start to get hotter up to 16 amps when it will blow.
A 10 amp glass fuse will offer minimal resistance up to 5 amps and then start to get hotter up to 10 amps when it will blow.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Helga

Post by Helga »

Thanks! That really is much clearer. :D