Mobile Mechanic to Fix Fuel Supply Problem?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cookwatty
80-90 Mem No: 0

Mobile Mechanic to Fix Fuel Supply Problem?

Post by cookwatty »

Hi

My 1.9 Petrol Watercooled camper broke down in Bromley at the weekend. The van started shuddering under acceleration and eventually died, then wouldn't start again.

I had to get towed back to East Dulwich (SE22) where I live, but the garage I dropped it outside of is refusing to touch camper vans! In hindsight I should have got towed to Airfix in Carshalton where I usually get it serviced.

From reading other threads it sounds like a fuel supply problem. The van is now stuck on the road near my house and won't start for me to get it elsewhere. Is there anyone who provides a mobile mechanic service who'd be willing to travel to South London SE22?

Thanks
Mike

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Re: Mobile Mechanic to Fix Fuel Supply Problem?

Post by ermie571 »

PM Toomanytoys - his mobile number is in his signature!

Good luck

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

VWCamperfan
80-90 Mem No: 4000

Post by VWCamperfan »

Sounds like classic 'hall sensor' breakdown symptoms. Usually chugs and splutters along for about 300 yards then dies. Won't start again until replaced (it's in the distributor, by the way!).
Could well be fuel problems but usually starts again after a short rest unless the pump has gone.
Mark.

I'm Not A Complete Idiot... Some Bits Are Missing!

1.6 Modified CT engine.

cookwatty
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by cookwatty »

Thanks for the replies.

After being turned down by 2 local garages I was able to find one nearby that a friend could tow me to.

Turned out to be crud in the fuel filter. Changed the fuel pump too while it was in there.

Now running good as gold again. Good job the breakdown happened in Bromley as we'd just come back from a summer holiday in France in it.

Regards
Mike

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Blimey, was just about to say fuel filter. Mine holds back at 60 like a nanny and figured filter probably isn't letting enough through at full pelt after I ran out of petrol a month or so ago (crap in it). Not too bothered for now as its keeping my speed down but will replace filter once I sail past an accessory outlet. Might just get a washable one this time.

In my case it doesn't affect town running but on motorways it surfaces like I've got my mum pulling the handbrake on suddenly :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Dirt/water in the fuel filter is classic signs that the filler neck/rubbers/breathers etc are in poor condition and allowing road dirt in.. come the winter whenthe roads are even worse, you will have some regular trouble.. Worth having the top off the carb to clean that out too... some still gets past the filter if it gets that crudded up...