Should I Buy???

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HizzleCamper
80-90 Mem No: 7421

Should I Buy???

Post by HizzleCamper »

Just been to see a 1.9 diesel westfalia 1981. It's a nice looking van, inside will need a bit of work but has a new pop top roof. I wanted to get my dad to look at it but he is too far away. Mostly my question is on rust - it has a bit, but doesn't look too bad, most of it is around the bumper. The sils have been re fitted and the current owner has patched places like the foot wells with silver stuff. Can you treat rust and how do you know it isn't a botch job! He hasn't painted it over and showed me all the work he has done!

Any advice - I want it but worried i'm jumping in too quick! He's asking £5600 - is this reasonable!

Thanks,

Hazel

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Should I Buy???

Post by AngeloEvs »

I think 5.6K is a lot for an 81 even if it is a Westy, can't comment on his repairs or the standard. If I had that sort of money I would definitely be looking for a post 86 that has been well looked after and in good condition, there are quite a few available at the moment so try and see as many as possible. I doubt that it will sell that quickly anyway, as my mum used to say......"every delay for the best".
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Hi
Photos and some more photos would be a help here :wink:

Where are you (and the van) ? someone on here might be able to come and look over it for you; or might already know the van in question and be able to give you some insider knowledge..

Everyone always stresses the importance of bodywork condition on these vans, one persons "slight rust" can be another's worst imaginable. Behind the front bumper is a common problem area it seems.
Rust can be treated and stabilised if it's not too bad, but the only way to get rid of rust is to cut it out back to decent clean metal and replace it with a new panel. I'm a fascinated by the patched with silver stuff comment, any idea what stuff this might be?

The only way of being sure a job hasn't been bodged is to do it yourself or get someone with a good reputatio to do it for you I'm afraid - Lots of people on here have vans that have been owned by enthusiastic folk in the past, but often the "enthusiasm" doesn't translate into "skill". What can start out as a relatively simple job can become very compliactated as you find out the quality of previous owners' DIY work :)

And finally, if you definately want a Westy, is this a real Westy? New pop top, stickers are available very cheaply off the bay of fleas, interior needs tidying... Is it original or a Westy interior & roof on a panel van conversion...

Be carfeul out there, but don't let me put you off; You've done the right thing by not just jumping in there and there are a lot of vans up for sale. This is a good time of year to buy, prices are often a little bit better for buyers than in Spring when everyone dreams of the long hot summer to come :lol:

Andi
What a long strange trip it's been

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

I would guess its over priced.

I would expect a very good van for that money, Westy or not
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

HizzleCamper
80-90 Mem No: 7421

Post by HizzleCamper »

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1982- ... 42556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The van in question is posted on Brick Yard - link above. The silver stuff is a non techie explanation! It has been on sale a while, and he is taking it to Vanfest tomorrow. Thank you for the advice on price, I thought it was quite expensive as one on here recently went for £5000 and it was a newer van with a better spec on paper... If anyone would be happy to look at a van and offer advice around the Manchester area please let me know - it seems a minefield out there!!! Thanks, H

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Usually find that enthusiasts tend to loook after their vans and the price is probably based on the fact that it is a 'westy' and considered by the owner to be in good or above average conditiom for its age. Personally, I would look at others in the same price range to get a feel for whats on offer and then make a decision. If its been on the market for a while I would guess people are finding later vans for that sort of asking price. Have a look at a few and if you still like the 'westy' but feel its overpriced then make an offer based on what you think is fair and reasonable that gives you a reserve to do any work that may be necessary. From the pictures it seems a nice van but I still think it may be a tad overpriced but a good 'westy' will hold its value compared to a lot of other conversions. Some later vans can be absolute sheds and neglected so the age factor isn't necessarily the criteria to go by.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sandwedge
80-90 Mem No: 7352

Post by sandwedge »

Personaly I would get a good unwelded van if possible if your not in a rush look at as many as possible it will give you a good idea of whats out there for the money, dont be taken in by shiny paint jobs, I have seen vans at a dealer (who I wont name) that look very nice on first look but are painted to cover a multitude of sins.

If you dont mind LHD you will be able to get a better van for the money, take a look at mobile.de to see whats around in europe.