Cost of MOT

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tone

Cost of MOT

Post by tone »

My Van passed Mot after needing new wheel cylinders and linings - really pleased it passed and paid up with no quibble even though I thought £298 a bit steep but this did include a minor service and the cost of an Mot. Looking at the receipt i see they charged me £41 for the two wheel cylinders and £70 for the 4 linings ( + VAT ). I've used them before and have a good relationship but £70 + vat for 4 brake shoes seems far too much ( or am I out of touch with VW parts ? ) What would you pay top wack for such parts?

Tony

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Cost of MOT

Post by CovKid »

£70 seems excessive - think I'd want to know why. Well, unless they bought direct from VW but even then, £70 seems high :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

VWCamperfan
80-90 Mem No: 4000

Post by VWCamperfan »

They should be £58 from VW but was told by local VW dealer thay they are no longer available through them. Thats for front pads only BTW.
Mark.

I'm Not A Complete Idiot... Some Bits Are Missing!

1.6 Modified CT engine.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Gonna play Devils advocate here but how much do you think they charge for labour? A labour charge of £60 is a reasonable assumption. The time spent on ordering parts, receiving them or collecting them, cleaning the surrounding areas, disposing of scrap parts and then writing the mot cert (Or time inputting info and then printing on computer) paying for equipment, replacing/repairing equipment, maintaining building etc etc is all included in the price you pay. Then there are wages of course, and the charges for the bank, loss of interest on the money that is laid out! There are lots of hidden charges that you and I must pay for, otherwise what is the point of runing a business? Having said all of that, the linings do appear expensive! Can you send me the part number and I will check the average cost of them from a local supplier. This will allow for retail/trade variations. If I can get you a genuine lower price you may be able to go back to them and ask for a refund/price match. I've done it before and got a few quid back!
Having said that, it would be useful to know your location! Prices DO vary from area to area!

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

id just put it down to experiance and look forwards to enjoying your year of fun.cant put a price on a good time imo :ok
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

wokinggaz
80-90 Mem No: 7378

Post by wokinggaz »

70 quid for shoes is excessive. I run a garage and use euro car parts for 90% of our parts. I wouldn't expect to pay more than £25 max but thats how we make money, marking up parts. Every garage does it, its just the price of patern parts to the trade are so cheap and the retail prices are stupidly more!
Feel free to drop me your reg and i'll get you a price as a comparison
At least the vans safe and legal

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Last price I got for rear shoes from VW was £83 a set.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Grifter
80-90 Mem No: 7349

Post by Grifter »

i just paid £21.00 from GFS, but i'm guessing on that basis i got what i paid for?

meggles

Post by meggles »

weldore wrote:id just put it down to experiance and look forwards to enjoying your year of fun.cant put a price on a good time imo :ok

Dave, 'know something. You're right! Again!!! How sickening! :roll:
Seriously, you know how much my van has cost me in terms of hard work and frustration. I've had one night in it. (With grandson). Priceless!!!! :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

thats great that is mate :ok im well chuffed you are getting there :wink:

meggles

Post by meggles »

weldore wrote:thats great that is mate :ok im well chuffed you are getting there :wink:

Never in any doubt! :roll: OK then, just a bit. Maybe the first time I clapped eyes on van in daylight after recovering it from M6!!!! :shock: One massive thing in my favour was whatever I did, including setting it on fire, would be an improvement! :wink: I bet the previous owner is still at the bank, laughing!!! :twisted:

weldore

Post by weldore »

weldore wrote:id just put it down to experiance and look forwards to enjoying your year of fun.cant put a price on a good time imo :ok
do i have to repeat myself ? :wink:

tone

Post by tone »

I wasn't intending to make a fuss - it was just the cost of the linings seemed steep. I should have queried it at the time and to do so now would be a bit churlish. As suggested the best advice is to put it down to experience and enjoy our van for another year.

meggles

Post by meggles »

tone wrote:I wasn't intending to make a fuss - .

You didn't. Just gave us food for thought and a discussion topic. Enjoy your van! :ok

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

GSF rear brake shoes are fine, the front pads are cr@p though. I'd get both from Brickwerks personally.

£298 for a year's ticket on a 20 odd year old van including a service and brake change isn't that bad tbh.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure