new van bought

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rincewind
80-90 Mem No: 6812

new van bought

Post by Rincewind »

Hi

i have just returned from buying a van.

However there are several things i need to sort with it (drove the price down accordingly), its 81 air cooled van

the gear change (4 speed) is pudding bowl to say the least. it changes ok, but you can place the gear stick in the same place no matter what gear its in, so i'm guessing its linkage bushes need changing??

as the van has been stood since last november, it needs a damn good service, so apart from the usual anything else i should change at the same time??

i've read about changing steering bushes, where would i get the bushes from? i take it they're powerflex??

anything else i should be looking at general maintenace before i start ordering new stuff..... :ok
light travels faster than sound, which explains why some people seem bright until they open their mouths

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Re: new van bought

Post by windysurfer »

If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

meggles

Post by meggles »

Quote "the gear change (4 speed) is pudding bowl to say the least. it changes ok, but you can place the gear stick in the same place no matter what gear its in, so i'm guessing its linkage bushes need changing??"

BALLS! The nylon ones on the selector at the gearbox end of the loooooong rod. Probably worn and have flats on them. Still available I believe. Make sure all is greased well and try to tighten the "box" the nylon balls fit in to. This may do the job without replacing your balls, so to speak. (I think some folk call them bushes).
Don't think you posted your location. If you're in York area send me a pm, I'll have a look for you.
There's also a linkage above tank!!!! Maybe that's come adrift? Or the one above the spare wheel? Be patient and methodical and you'll sort it I'm sure. Was it an ebay purchase?

meggles

Post by meggles »

Whoops, North Lincs. I'm a silly boy!!! :roll:

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

the van came via pistonheads

if you have a look for my posts, theres a link off that

not far from York, Scunthorpe to precise

just want these few things sorting then i can get onto "niceties"!!!
light travels faster than sound, which explains why some people seem bright until they open their mouths

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Well.. it needs a going over to determine whats needed and whats nice... has it got MOT?

As said. linkage bushings sounds worn and could be a loose UJ too...

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

yup got a full ticket, though i'm not sure how the handbrake passed as the rachet is worn, though it does work

just want to go over it as its probably not had a service in a while, so plugs, leads, air filter, oil filter, oil, distributor cap, rotor arm, set up carb and make sure all is tickety boo
electronic points?? though dunno where to get them from
gear change is a concern, though does change ok

door mirrors move in wind, but i have seen new ones from JK so they'll be ordered later

suspension seems a little hard and creaky on the n/s, i believe its been lowered, but by how much i'm not sure

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

personally, if it goes into all the gears easilly enough and there's no horrible whining, I wouldn't be too bothered by the sloppy gearstick - it's all part of the fun.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

Rincewind wrote: door mirrors move in wind, but i have seen new ones from JK so they'll be ordered later

no need to buy new ones, just take them off the doors and you'll see a nut that can be tightened to make them more resistent to automatic wind-powered self-adjustment.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

"electronic points"........ :lol: :lol: if it has the standard dizzy on then its electronic ignition so as long as vac advance is working, just needs timing checked..
Mirrors... as said.. remove do the nut up 1/4 turn, refit.. if they are a set of "replacement" ones and the nut is tight, then you will need to dissmantle and rough up the ball and socket with sandpaper... if they are "flat" and not "concave" mirrors then you might want to get a set of concave in anycase... flat ones are useless...

Suspension... creaking usually means upper wishbones need doing... sometimes a squirt or 6 of WD40 will keep them quiet for a bit.. Hard/harsh ride.. could eb the bump stops havent been cut so its riding on them....

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

cool

think the mirrors are flat as when i could see out of them, couldn't see anything of any use....

wheels off then and see whats what with regards to the bump stops then, and liberal WD40 at the same time....

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

regarding the gearchange, go to the back of the linkage rod and you'll see a sleeve which slides inline over a pin which is bolted to the gearbox(should have a rubber gaitor at the joint). on the end of the pin(deep within the sleeve) is a nylon guide bush and there should be very little sideways movement where the sleeve and pin overlap. if theres lots of play it probably needs a new nylon bush and when i did mine recently it made an immense difference.
if the engine runs ok leave it alone and just change the oil and filter. don't use modern synthetic/semi synthetic oils as they dont seem to like em. use a genuine mann filter and don't overfill it or it will smoke like a good un.
if its 2l it should have 2 carbs,, don't mess with em if its running ok
most of all enjoy it, it'll try your patience a lot at times but thats part of the charm i think.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339