Nose-weight value?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eric
80-90 Mem No: 2216

Nose-weight value?

Post by eric »

Good morning all,

I'm taking grandchildren on holiday next month and thought it would be a good idea to take their bikes, which will afford them some independence. They will of course be armed with a walkie-talkie each so I can achieve some measure of peace of mind when they decide to go on a jaunt.

I have purchased a gismo (base-rak) from an outfit called http://www.bak-rak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; together with a 4 bike contraption which fits onto the tow-ball.

I have a 1987 VW Caravelle GL Syncro 2.1 (petrol/lpg) and wondering if any of you egg-heads can hit me with the nose-weight value? Yes, I know I should have enquired about this before I bought the gismo (given myself a slap).

Naturally, I am nervous about jeopardising the integrity of the vehicle when travelling about for obvious reasons, notwithstanding the law as I have read somewhere that the police are stopping cars towing caravans and the like, increasingly.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Eric.
Not really an unsociable sod, just gives a good impression.
Member: 2216.

grumpyoldgit
80-90 Mem No: 5745

Re: Nose-weight value?

Post by grumpyoldgit »

I think you'll find that a couple of children's bike weigh a lot less than a caravan so I can't see that you have anything to worry about. I am sure that the police would be more interested that your load is secure, that the light board is working and from another posting here, that the style of the registration numbers and letters comply with regs.
Bob
Membership Number 5745
1983 Devon Moonraker Camper

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Normally the nose weight is 50 kg, some tow bars are plated at 75 kg. That is the static load the dynamic load can be a lot more so it would be unlikely the bike rack would cause a problem. Just make sure the rear lights and numberplate are visable or fit a trailer board they have been very hot on this on the M25 and M3 for a few years now.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

eric
80-90 Mem No: 2216

Post by eric »

Thank you for your imput lads.

I have found the info in the handbook.

My Syncro have a `noseweight` rating of 75kg. The bog standard T3's are rated at 50kg's.

Thanks once again,
Eric.
Not really an unsociable sod, just gives a good impression.
Member: 2216.