Mechanic near Wolverhampton

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kuxy
80-90 Mem No: 6930

Mechanic near Wolverhampton

Post by Kuxy »

Hi all i've recently bought my first T25 camper and i need to find a local, reliable mechanic who can help me with a few problems!! I'm in wolverhampton, West Mids.

1985 B Reg
LHD
1600 Diesel, 1588 cc i believe
Westfalia interior

Firstly i have a broken clutch!!! Don't know how, i drove her fine last time out (been to Cardiff and back no troubles, also small journeys locally). Been parked up for a week and when i got in to go on small drive yesterday afternoon i put my foot on clutch which shot straight to floor, no resistance, the pedal does spring back up but is not engaging clutch, as a result my new pride and joy is sat outside unable to move and is not going to get me to Deva at weekend!! Help!!!
I am not good with engines / mechanics but do want to learn!!! In the mean time i need someone who knows what they're doing!

Also i need someone to look at / overhaul the electrics!! 240 hook seems to be working fine, all interior sockets live but there is defo problem with leisure battery, either battery itself knackered or split relay not working / charging battery or both!! Is there anyone who can help with this please, ideally trace electrics see what is working / not and what needs replacing!!

Would be grateful if anybody can help with any of this or point me in the right direction,

Cheers, Al.

wigg1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Mechanic near Wolverhampton

Post by wigg1 »

you have pm

timtheenchanter
80-90 Mem No: 3498

Post by timtheenchanter »

Try Pro Tech on Stanmore ind Est Bridgnorth. 01746769005, use them all the time for my Syncro they are very good and know VWs inside out. :D
TDI 'Autosleeper' Trident Syncro.
'It's not that lifes to short,just death is so bloody long'.

orangebooboobearcrew
80-90 Mem No: 3718

Post by orangebooboobearcrew »

Clutch issue is probably leaking slave cylinder.

Try removing the plastic cowling over the dash and see if there is any fluid in the plastic reservoir. This is the combined cluth / brake fluid.

If you look under the nearside (kerbside) rear wheel, you will be able to see the clutch slave cylinder on top of the gearbox - check to see if there is any evidence of leaking clutch fluid on our around the cylinder. If so, probably best to replace slave cylinder as repair more trouble than its worth. I paid about £38 for one.

To replace is quite straight forward but would recommend you get yourself a Haynes manual pronto - worth it when compared to costly garage bills. Have a go at this yourself, its the only was to learn and these van are generally quite straight foward to work on.... :D

Regards,

Chris

Kuxy

Post by Kuxy »

Cheers for help / info guys- as a result i have located problem!!

Took dash off and fluid resevoir is empty, located slave cylinder under van and sure enough obvious evidence of a leak!!!
Sounds like you've come accross this problem before hey Chris!!
Went to Halfords and got myself a Haynes manual (have also got a JK manual to cover the diesel parts)
I've been to GSF car parts in Wolves picked up new slave cylinder and a pair of 2 tonne jack stands so the plan is to get underneath this afternoon, replace cylinder and go from there!

Nice 1!!

custard
80-90 Mem No: 6526

Post by custard »

Just replaced the clutch on my motor this week.Only problem was rear slave cylinder. Housing is a pig and we had to cut the rear bolt off. (Using the 'royal' we ,as my mate did 90% of the work.) Other that that easy job.If you get stuck get in touch, as I only live in Cannock. All the best.

orangebooboobearcrew
80-90 Mem No: 3718

Post by orangebooboobearcrew »

Well done for having a go - that's what its all about. You can always see on here if anyone can help if you get stuck or worst case use the expensive mechanic you were going to use in the first place!!!

Hope it goes on okay.... :D

Chris

Kuxy

Post by Kuxy »

Yeah Kuxy is back on the road!!!!!

Didn't go too badly at all!

Saved myself a few quid by not using a mechanic!!! Cost £35 including the fluid to top system up! Plus i bought some axle stands which i've now got for future use!

The blot nearest the engine is an awkward bleeder to get to, right inside the mounting bracket, couldn't get socket in! Bolts weren't too tight tho, came away with a bit of force, would they be lubed up after the amount of clutch fluid that has leaked accross them?! Took about 2 hours to do whole job including bleeding system and clearing up!

Then i was back on the road chuffed at punch! Not only did i have the standard smile on my face just because i'm behind the wheel of my bus, but also because i'd done my first ever repair! Happy dayz!

Cheers again for help guys!

Ps does anyone meet on a regular /semi reg basis in west mids area?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Well done fella.

First steps are allways scary, but with help from here and us locals.. keep your money for the van :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

wigg1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by wigg1 »

Glad you're sorted Well done for having a go :ok