Please can someone help!!??

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

simonp

Please can someone help!!??

Post by simonp »

Hi, I bought some bbs alloys off a guy who told me they were an optional extra on a t25 and would go on without spacers and with the original nuts etc. I have tried a rear one on and the nuts only go on half way and they stick out a little more than the steelies. It says on them 6.5. Jx14h2-b et22. I now don't think they are off a t25!! Does anyone know if they will be ok, and can you get different nuts on the rear so I wouldnt have to install longer bolts. If anyone can help it would be great as I was really looking forward to fitting them, and I thouht the chap was trustworthy. Cheers.

milky
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Please can someone help!!??

Post by milky »

get some longer studs its safer ,work out the size you need with or without spacers,just make sure nothing touches in the arches /rear suspension /front on lock to lock too.kit will cost £90 ish depending on what you order off ebay

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Alloys need longer studs unless they are factory fitted OEM ones. Also read up on all the info in the wiki regarding brake drum retainers etc..
Sounds like you've bought car wheels not van wheels - don't forget a T3 is a heavy vehicle...

They will stick out a bit more with ET22 - factory fitted alloys were ET30.

Not what you want to hear but "Stick them back on ebay and buy some more suitable rims" would be my advice - Sorry
What a long strange trip it's been

simonp

Post by simonp »

Cheers for that, I think I will. I bought them from the chap as he assured me that they where OEM alloys and I wouldn't need longer studs etc. Just goes to show you can't trust many people!! Cheers for your help.

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

There's loads of info about what wheels will fit and what modifications are needed in the wiki and on the Brickyard wheels pages.
Take your time, don't rush into anything and if in any doubt - ask on here before you buy

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

check that they are actually pcd 112, there are others out there that are close but not right, vauxhall carlton ones are 110 I believe

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Stick a pic of the wheel on here.. will try and identify it..
ET 22 is NOT vw factory T25 wheel despite what he says... if he reckons otherwise ask for part number...

If it is a VW factory part it WILL have VW on it and part number.... what does it say??

simonp

Post by simonp »

It says 6.6 jx14h 2-b ET22 BBS. I asked a company that sells kits for alloys and they said that with longer bolts etc they would be fine. They showed me a picture of a T25 with ET 15 wheels on and they said it worked fine. I tried one of the fronts on last night and it seemed to fit nicely in the arch. The caliper was very close though. Cheers.

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

VW made these vans with either steel wheels with an offset of 39 or alloys with an offset of 30. Generally anything between these 2 measurements should be ok. A higher offset can be reduced with a spacer and also gain you some clearence on the suspension etc.

Any alloy wheel, other than the OEM Carats, will require you to fit longer studs to your rear hubs and in all honesty its a good idea to convert the fronts to studs too while you're at it, although you could use longer bolts. The Carats fit straight on the standard studs as they were made thinner at the mountings and specifically for the van, they even have the backs machined out for the brake retaining bolts too.

Having said all that, Oettinger did fit ET23 wheels so who am I to say......

Just bear in mind the load rating of the wheels and what tyres you fit. If they're not rated highly enough you may get in trouble with your insurance company in the event of any claims. Tyre size may also play a big part in the "do they fit" equation - the rims may not foul anything but once they have your chosen tyres on they could, depending on the width.

I'm not trying to put you off, but weigh it all up cost wise etc to do it properly. Also have a look in the classifieds, there's a set of Carats on there (and no, they're not mine) which would save you the outlay of the necessary hardware to fit your BBS rims.

simonp

Post by simonp »

Cheers for that. How would I find out the load rating on thes wheels? Sorry for all the questions, but I would just like some nice alloys on my van!! Not had much luck with it.

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

I can only think of contacting the manfacturer for the load rate info, or put some pictures up so we can work out what wheels they are and someone may well know the answer.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Even VW fitted different wheel nuts and bolts for alloy wheels with a taper seat rather than a cone seat for the steel wheels, you also need to check which fitting the BBS have.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Very valid point bigherb, I forgot to mention the differences in radius & taper bolts with steels & alloys. All available from Brickwerks of course

simonp

Post by simonp »

Cheers for that. I will check that tonight.