Spacing Standard 14" Steel Wheels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

alanf_uk2002

Spacing Standard 14" Steel Wheels

Post by alanf_uk2002 »

Hi folks,

My van has a big(ish) bodykit and the standard wheels just look wrong sitting so far inside the arches. I would like to space the standard wheels out to fill the arches (only a bit, nothing radical) until I can afford some new alloys, or more importantly alloys with decent tyres rated at the right load for the van!

I am aware of the potential issues with stress on wheel bearings etc but I am just looking to tweak the stance and wondered if anyone had done this with standard wheels that might be able to advise the size of spacers and bolts/studs required.

I have checked through the forum but most threads are for spacing out alloy wheels, not the steels.

Cheers
Alan

alanf_uk2002

Re: Spacing Standard 14" Steel Wheels

Post by alanf_uk2002 »

I've had another look and I think only the rear wheels need spacing out, anyone know how far I can space them without fouling the rear door?

Cheers
Alan

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

You'll need longer studs to space the rears and longer bolts to space the fronts...
You could go about 10mm.. as that would give the same offset (ET) as a std vw factory alloy of ET30 (std steels are ET39).. All things being equall, this shouldnt cause any issues... (std disclaimer applies tho... )

But to be fair.. keep saving... although you will need the longer bolts and studs (and poss/prob different seat types) for the alloys....

alanf_uk2002

Post by alanf_uk2002 »

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a plan. Getting road car alloys & tyres isn't a problem, in fact I have a couple of sets already, but there's so much talk on here of the right load rating for a van, mines a high-top and I plan to tow a trailer too so it seems like a set of Extra Load tyres circa 98-100 rate are required which for 17" rims = £££££!

Thanks
Alan