New Wintery tyres

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

New Wintery tyres

Post by Fin »

I'd like to ask if anyone has a winter tyre setup.

I've got some 15in spare wheels and I'd like to chuck some big knobblys on my T25 pickup (syncro style) for the winter weather.
Either that or some Snow tyres

What should I go for? and size??
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: New Wintery tyres

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I run Hankook WR on 14" steels.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

I've just bought some Toyo H09's to go on the stock steels. £200 or thereabouts.

I also replaced my ratty old Volvo tyres with some Falken M+S marked winter tyres, so I am just about set I reckon. Bring it on

texasuk

Post by texasuk »

Had them fitted today.

What a difference from the Conway remoulds that were on there! It has transformed the drive, what a pleasure it is now. Admittedly what I had on before was rubbish, but these are like driving a different van.

If they grip in the snow when it comes, it will be some of the best money I have spent on the van.

Long term testing to take place and be reported on. Link to tyres here: Toyo H09

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

Post by bikermike87 »

texasuk wrote:Had them fitted today.

What a difference from the Conway remoulds that were on there! It has transformed the drive, what a pleasure it is now. Admittedly what I had on before was rubbish, but these are like driving a different van.

If they grip in the snow when it comes, it will be some of the best money I have spent on the van.

Long term testing to take place and be reported on. Link to tyres here: Toyo H09

Did they grip well in the snow? Looking to change tyres on my van to cope with occasional snow and muddy fields, any ideas?
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

texasuk

Post by texasuk »

In the snow yes, very good grip compared to normal. On solid ice no better than any tire I think, but I guess that is to be expected without studs or anything. They are supposed to work better in the low temps as well, due to a slight difference in the compound, which seems to be true from the feel.
I think I was expecting a bit much from them all round, but they are very good as tyres whatever the weather. Considering what I had on there before it was a bit of a revalation, the old remould widow makers were so bad. They are also proper van tyres with the right strengh in them, which is good to know.

Would I recommend them? Probably. If you had the spare money and want to give yourself a bit of a slight advantage in the cold weather. On a Syncro they would probably be even better value, but then most people with those seem to stick tyres on that would get them through the Amazon anyway.

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by peasant »

I'm driving these since October (in 195 R 14 C)

Vredestein Comtrac Winter (light van tyres, C-rated)

Would wholeheartedly recommend them. They have performed well in the dry, in the rain, on snow anyway and even on ice they do give some improved grip compared to my old Hankook RA8's (which were pretty good for the last 4 years). But as texasuk said ..on black ice you're pretty much on your own as nothing but studded tyres will provide anything close to what you would call real grip. The slightly blockish thread is even useable in mud (to a degree)
Ex German army Syncro for sale

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

i`m running general grabber at2`s on the syncro and they are awsome in the snow, slush and even ice. the bfg style at pattern works really well.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Fin

Post by Fin »

Gone back to my old semi truck tyres on the bus with Snow chains as a backup.
Much better than my 225's stretched to 10in ha ha

Getting some imports from Germany - my work is there, for the SAAB as can't get anything here, they've all sold out!!

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Post by Oldjets »

This is useful stuff. Would be very interested in more experiences with winter tyres from those that have them fitted. Do people fit them all round or just on rears only?

Was in Cheltenham last weekend when a couple of inches of snow fell in about an hour. Trying to climb the hill up A435 (about a 2 mile hill) out of town was not good on ordinary tyres! Had to abandon attempt two thirds of the way up in the end, but at least all other two wheel drive vehicles were having same problems. I reckon a bit more grip on the back would have seen me to the top.

Thanks to muppets at Gloucestershire Council for doing NOTHING to ANY roads at all.

Fin - I am just down the road from you in Holt and have been busy coating my Autosleeper in slush all weekend. Have you been out and about in yours?

Oldjets

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Oldjets wrote:This is useful stuff. Would be very interested in more experiences with winter tyres from those that have them fitted. Do people fit them all round or just on rears only?

All round, it would be very unwise to have "slippy" summer tyres on the steering/braking end.
We tend to fit them from October until Easter - I usually take them off at the end of March if the roads are clear and the temperature is constantly above +7c.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

^^^WHS^^^
"Us Brits" dont get the idea about "winter tyres".... I have lived and worked all over Europe for the last 17 years and normally have a set of winters for each vehicle in the fleet.. unfortunatly this year I couldnt afford to get any (for the scooby) when they were available (before the snow) and now all sold out and wont have any till next october....

Winter tyres make all the difference, if you have never experienced good winter tyres, then you'll be in for a pleasant surprise... If they didnt work, people wouldnt use them.. Germany has just changed the law, so if you are caught driving on "summer" (what the Brits generally get) tyres in snow, you'll get a fine and points.. for every tyre apparently.. Insurance co's in Germany and lots of other countries, wont pay out if you have an accident either...

With the "C" rated tyres I reckon they last pretty well all year.. the set of semperit vangrips I run on the syncro all year (unless off roading) have lasted very well.. bought used, but really good tread, prob done 45k km on them... still ok.. prob about half worn... on our vehicles they will last pretty well in any case.. on a modern powerful car they will get chewed pretty quick in the summer... worth having a scruffy set of steels with a set on... did that for the 'velle years ago.. with a set of Colways, great tyres... lots of long distance 70mph+, loaded miles on them, lasted well, never any issues.. still have them as back up spares...

But you are gonna struggle to find any winters in the UK now... and expect to pay a price for them too....

Tho, I may be able to sort out a group buy in the new year if anyone is interested..... Certainly next oct I will have some available....

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

This is a most enlightening thread, I now know what to do with my rusting steel wheels

thank you all

kev

PS I most definitely would be interested in a set of standard winters Simon
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Fin

Post by Fin »

Oldjets wrote:
Fin - I am just down the road from you in Holt and have been busy coating my Autosleeper in slush all weekend. Have you been out and about in yours?

Oldjets

Yup, was over your way the other day helping my mate Dave put in his hot tub

Might have seen me parked up on the road - Matt Black T25 pickup w cream wheels

Fin

Post by Fin »

fitted these to the SAAB today
http://www.barum-online.com/generator/w ... s2_de.html
amazing in the snow!!