alloy wheels and speedo sender

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dooglex

alloy wheels and speedo sender

Post by dooglex »

I just bought some allow wheels and fitted them to my t25 but to fit them i had to remove the grease cover, on the drivers side this is fine but on the front passanger this is where the speedo cable fits!
Does anyone have any good ideas of how to sort this out? I dont really want to drill through the centre of the alloy centre cap and have it sticking out!
86 1.9 petrol 4speed manual

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Re: alloy wheels and speedo sender

Post by Cruz »

What wheels are they?
What offset are the wheels?
What is the centre bore of the wheels
Did you fit the required longer studs/bolts and spacers?

A picture speaks a thousand words

dooglex

Post by dooglex »

They are from a golf gti mk3,
they are 5x100pcd using 5x112 to 5x100 adapter plates rather than just long bolts.
I'm not sure about the centre bore, but they do fit, the only problem is they don't fit with the large black grease cover on, and since this is where the speedo clips onto with a circlip the speedo has nowhere to attach.

How does it usually work when alloys are used?

I will sort a picture tomorrow, thanks!

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

dooglex wrote: How does it usually work when alloys are used?
I can only comment on the one's I have which are Merc rims. My centrebore is 66.5mm and with 10mm spacers on the front and 5mm on the rear I can still get my grease caps on as the wheel centre bore is big enough. I can even get merc centre caps on too after trimming the length of my grease caps a few mm

Most likely you need the wheel centre bores opening up, as is the case with VW T4 and AUDI wheels which are 57mm

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

dooglex wrote:They are from a golf gti mk3, !

Crumbs mate... that's a very light CAR you have a two tonne van!!!

How does it usually work when alloys are used?

you either drill out the bores and weaken the integrity of the wheel.. or you find Alloys that fit without drilling... there are PLENTY to choose from and they can take the weight of a van.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

A lot of Merc wheels are fine as they are off big vehicles like an E class estate or an ML

Mine had the right PCD 112, the right centre bore and the bolt holes were also the right size but radius seated. The offset was 47 but nothing spacers couldn't cope with

dooglex

Post by dooglex »

O.K. cool, I spoke to a few garages and they said the alloys are fine as long as the tires can take the weight, and since they are 14s I can re-use the tyres from my steel wheels.

I have attached a picture of the speedo connector, I can't see how it will fit other than drilling it into the centre cover.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

kevtherev wrote:
you either drill out the bores and weaken the integrity of the wheel.. or you find Alloys that fit without drilling... there are PLENTY to choose from and they can take the weight of a van.

STILL as above as far as I can see

The centre bores of those wheels are too small to fit over the grease caps and I doubt your alloy wheel centre will be robust enough to hold the speedo cable end securely when they can round off the square hole in steel grease caps.

It's fine for the garage to say that wheels off a mini-hatchback will be ok on a 2 ton van. but the garage people won't be driving it

The best plan would still be to sell the wheels on and get some Merc rims which have a large enough centre bore, come with useable offsets and are rated for heavier vehicles (but have radius bolt seats)

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

dooglex wrote:O.K. cool, I spoke to a few garages and they said the alloys are fine .

Sorry mate but that's just plain wrong...

I can't help you
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)