wheel alignment

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bodgit
80-90 Mem No: 5619

wheel alignment

Post by bodgit »

nearside tyre was wearing slightly so had alignment done.guy had problems undoing nuts to do this and when i got van back the steering wheel seems to be in a different position when i am driving in a straight line. by this i mean it was at 9.15 and is now at 8.10. does this make sense and is it possible this is aresult of what has been done? feel like i should take steering wheel off and reposition it. any thoughts on this appreciated but not sure i want to go back to place i had it done as they didnt exactly inspire me with confidence!

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: wheel alignment

Post by jamesc76 »

the wheel should stay straight, he has only adjusted one side instead of both equally!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

swap your tyres put the rears on the front
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

bodgit

Post by bodgit »

thanks for that. thought i was going mad. will now have to go back get it sorted.bugger

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

jamesc76 wrote:the wheel should stay straight, he has only adjusted one side instead of both equally!

Not strictly true.
Depends on how he has done it, or should I say with what equipment.

If he has done it with old Dunlop style gauges, then it's a case of take the steering wheel off and centre it.
If he's done it with 4 wheel alignment stuff (having measuring heads on the front, and flags on the rear) then he should be able to set the steering wheel position.
It can be difficult sometimes when the wheel alignment has been "out" for a long time that tyres wear in a certain way, once you reset the wheel alignment the tyres may naturally want to follow their old direction, causing pulling etc.
I know I have had to do them twice to get them right, depends on whats been moved as each adjustment has a dramatic effect on the others.

Just take it back and see what he says, see what equipment he has, if it's just those gauges on the floot with the long tube you peer don and the mirror, you have knob all chance of setting the steering position, if however theres 4 wheel alignment equipment then it should be reasonably accurate, but taking into account wear on the tyres.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Simon Baxter wrote: Not strictly true.

Just take it back and see what he says, see what equipment he has, if it's just those gauges on the floot with the long tube you peer don and the mirror, you have knob all chance of setting the steering position, if however theres 4 wheel alignment equipment then it should be reasonably accurate, but taking into account wear on the tyres.

The whole time I was in the army and then in all garages working on big trucks mainly using the old periscope style ones if you do it properly counting lock to lock setting the steering wheel then move on to the wheels it should be bob on! A lot of the time its down to time and being bothered to do it right, as you clearly do Simon but most places they just want the vehicles turned round fast!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

jamesc76 wrote:
Simon Baxter wrote: Not strictly true.

The whole time I was in the army and then in all garages working on big trucks mainly using the old periscope style ones if you do it properly counting lock to lock setting the steering wheel then move on to the wheels it should be bob on! A lot of the time its down to time and being bothered to do it right, as you clearly do Simon but most places they just want the vehicles turned round fast!

But that way you can still achieve the right tracking but wrong against the back axle - crabbing.
And still have the wheel on the pi$$.
4 wheel alignment is soooooooooooooooooooo much easier, quicker, more betterer!
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

set the steering wheel to centre and count the lock to lock angle. if you have the exact same no of turns right to left from the centre ahead position then the steering wheel to rack fitment is right and something else needs looking at. if the lock to lock ratio left to right is not the same then the wheel needs moving on the column.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

bodgit

Post by bodgit »

thanks for all the replies it was done on 4 wheel alignment and wheel was ok before but i will check out what lee said. i will go back but am expecting to be fobbed off which will really pi$$ me off and waste more time. i chose a local independant because i prefer to keep it local and support them but not so sure now. van doesnt pull at all but then it was ok before.,just nsearside tyre wearing on outside. can i just reset steering wheel to central position or is that a dumb move and should pay to get it sorted somewhere they know what they are doing? (but not kwik fit )

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

There has been some good advice so far.....my 2 pence worth.
When fitting a new rack it is useful to correctly position the rack position washer 'for want of the correct name' the upturned plastic cover that pushes over the splines on the rack. it has a pointer on it and should point between two notches on the rack body when the rack is set exactly central.

Now the rack is fitted the easiest way to centralise it is to pop off the track rod ends, turn the steering lock to lock and determine (by counting turns/fractions of turns) the cental point of the rack. At this point pop the steering wheel and fit it straight, re-check again making sure that the wheel has exactly the same turns from centre to full right and centre to full left. Lock the wheel (with special device) in straight ahead position, refit the track rod ends, NOW adjust each track rod to get the correct toe-in setting 2mm±3.5mm / 0°20'±30'.
It is a mess around but can be done.

Interestingly knowone has picked up on the 'single tyre' wearing on the outer edge! which is a more likely an indication of excessive positive camber (unusual on a T3, as the top wishbone bushes are normally prone to collapse which causes negative camber) but either way, a single tyre wearing the outer edge isn't normally a tracking fault as this would wear both tyres and not just the one. An observation.......
Is there any 'feathering' or stepping on the tyre tread? I am trying to explore alternative possibilities.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Red Westie wrote:
Interestingly knowone has picked up on the 'single tyre' wearing on the outer edge! which is a more likely an indication of excessive positive camber (unusual on a T3, as the top wishbone bushes are normally prone to collapse which causes negative camber) but either way, a single tyre wearing the outer edge isn't normally a tracking fault as this would wear both tyres and not just the one. An observation.......
Is there any 'feathering' or stepping on the tyre tread? I am trying to explore alternative possibilities.
Martin

Mine is like that Martin
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I scrubbed a NSF tyre off, no other problems, stuck it on a very nice 4w alignment machine and after 1/2hr perfect and wheel straight ahead. used to use the dunlops years ago but pooh in comparison.
mike