Fitting rear wheel spacers - Advice please!

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

markbikerider
80-90 Mem No: 7486

Fitting rear wheel spacers - Advice please!

Post by markbikerider »

Hi, I got a little carried away at Vanfest and returned home with some shiny new alloys! I'm going to have to use 10mm spacers on the front and the back to make them fit, but I came across a potential problem when measuring and offering them up this morning... The rear break drums have two small bolts which secure the drum to the hub. As these both protrude, it will be difficult to make whatever spacers I end up buying fit flush against the drum. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, have you any neat ways around it before I end up buying spacers that just won't fit...
Cheers, Mark
Last edited by markbikerider on 18 Sep 2010, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
As Neil Young once said 'Rust never sleeps...'

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Fitting rear wheel spacers - Advice please!

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Take the screws out and throw them away they are not needed.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

markbikerider

Post by markbikerider »

Thanks for your advice! I've actually just found it on the Wiki - I must learn to look there first!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

what alloys did you get?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

markbikerider

Post by markbikerider »

Not too sure of the make, but (this is where my complete lack of knowledge/experience with wheels comes into play) they're 18inch! The blokes at the stall seemed confident they would fit with a bit of jiggery pokery (and they do - centre hole/stud holes etc), but now I'm worried about the extra width as I'm going from standard steels to 7.5 inch. The Wiki has been really useful, so I think I'll manage the clearance issues with a bit of head scatching.... I saw very few T25s with this size wheel at Vanfest, so it should be fun finding out what needs to be done!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

markbikerider wrote:Not too sure of the make, but (this is where my complete lack of knowledge/experience with wheels comes into play) they're 18inch! The blokes at the stall seemed confident they would fit with a bit of jiggery pokery (and they do - centre hole/stud holes etc), but now I'm worried about the extra width as I'm going from standard steels to 7.5 inch. The Wiki has been really useful, so I think I'll manage the clearance issues with a bit of head scatching.... I saw very few T25s with this size wheel at Vanfest, so it should be fun finding out what needs to be done!

good luck with that... it may turn out expensive
and good luck with finding tyres that fit the 654mm diameter spec for 18" rims.. that can hold up a two tonne van

my complete lack of knowledge/experience

ha ha
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Longer bolts/studs too and check if they need radius or tapered bolts

markbikerider

Post by markbikerider »

Thanks for the advice (Cruz). Already on top of the bolt/nut tecnicalities. The wheels came complete with tyres, ready to fit a T4/5
Last edited by markbikerider on 19 Sep 2010, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Just out of interest what size tyres are they?

toshT25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by toshT25 »

[quote}they're 18inch![/quote]

I'd hang on to your old wheels for a while as I've just fitted 15" passat steel wheels to my 14" syncro and I've lost some acceleration and about 8mph top end etc due to the larger diameter/gearing.

Can't imagine what engine you would need for 18"?

My 1.6TD (4 speed gear box) just about copes and now cruises at a nicer motorway speed (just above those bloody overtaking lorrys) but yeah I now have to work the box some what more now especially up inclines.

And yeah those 4 screws/bolts can come out. I've just driven to the south of france with just one screw fitted either side and had this vibration at 40-41mph.Yeah I read about taking them out for mefros wheels but wasn't sure and had visions of my van going walkabouts down a hill with the hand brake on.

Only in Marseille (after driving over the highest road in europe, Cime de la Bonette 9,383 ft)
did a kind french motorcyclist stop me to tell me one of my wheels looked like it was going to fall off.

Anyways took them out, vibration/wobble gone and probably a few thousand laughing french drivers.

btw you learn something new everyday diesel engines suffer alltitude sickness lol, thought my engine had gone at first. All I can say is anyone planning it don't try it with a non turbo diesel with 15" wheels cause it won't get over, 25-30mph flat out in 2nd is all I could get going down hill at the top. Change up to 3rd and it would slow down going down hill.! Every fine now.

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

toshT25 wrote:[quote}they're 18inch!
Well Done Hercule

Shame you misread my question though which was to find out the width and profile of the tyres. Hence "what size are the tyres?"

I ask because the poster said he has a lack of knowledge and experience and may have tyres that are not suitable and it's best to check rather than take the sketchy word of some geezer at Vanfest who's only (probable) interest was to make a sale.

E D I T: What is the offset of the 18" wheels?

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

I've just driven to the south of france with just one screw fitted either side and had this vibration at 40-41mph.

with out wishing to cause offence, you read that the bolts could be taken out on one of the largest and well known information libraries for the vw t25, but proceeded to drive around France with one of them still in place on each size with a slight wobble? and now you are tring to give advise to someone else.

It's a miracle that the nuts didn't come loose and the wheels stayed one while you were driving never mind with the hand brake on.

The relevance of the tire size is not only about clearance but also the rolling radius. If the profile of the tyres is 45 then there shouldn't be too much difference in speed and acceleration, if the profile is say 35 there will be a massive difference.

markbikerider

Post by markbikerider »

Hi, thanks for all the replies and helpful info. The tyre width is 225mm, the profile is 40mm and the offset is 42mm. To be honest, I think you are right about the salesman - they certainly seemed a bargain, but my overall feeling now is to stick them on ebay ASAP and look for something altogether more sensible... I have certainly learnt lots through your contributions though! Thanks, Mark

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

chap i'm running merc steel rims that are 16"

my tyres are 235/60/16 on the back so pretty comparible! the offset of my rims are et51 & i run longer studs on the back with 18mm spacing, i have now pros & mine is a 2.0 Aircooled with the long geared 4 speed box

get them on & stop stressing about it all, aslong as the wheel is within the arch when all fitted then you wont have much greaf really!

porshe rims that folk use are et54 or somat & folk use 20-25mm spacing to get them to fit & dont have issiues really

the only issue you may have is getting the right tyres for the front so they dont scrub!

get yaself a spacer kit & try them on ya bus before making a rash decision! if they dont fit after fitting the spacers etc etc you can just bolt on the rims you have with the spacers etc! no worries & better looks/less drit from let to right on the motorway due to the wider track of the bus blah blah blah!

i did this once & seen my rims i sold on some other buggers motor & regretted selling them loads then!

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

porsche rims use a pcd converter not spacers.

do yourself a favour and look at this link.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... ltwhls.htm

this will allow you to check your rolling radius of the new wheels and tyres as opposed to stock.

too far over and your derv will struggle to pull them (will effectivly alter gearing)

also check what load rating the tyres are you were sold with the wheels and post up here (very important)

dont just bob em on as you will need longer studs and bolts plus you will need to ensure they are the correct ones for alloys.

18s will go on a t3 but you need to know what your doing.
98 Westfalia James Cook