Front studs & Merc wheel bolts

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Front studs & Merc wheel bolts

Post by nesty »

I got a set of usual Merc wheels to fit to my T3.

I got the rear studs done. Brought the front stud conversion for the front. How hard is fitting them. Is it just a case of winding them in but lociting them? .

Also for Merc Alloys do they take a tapered or Radiused set. The front conversion kit looks like it's got tapered nuts with them. I looked inthe WIKI but it's says about ball seats is that tapered or radiused?
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Re: Front studs & Merc wheel bolts

Post by Cruz »

Ball seats are radius seats.

Usually I think merc holes are radius seat. Try shoving some plasticine into your bolt seats to see what type they are.

Also what size 'were' the bolts holes? If they have been opened up from 12 to 14mm then you need some special 14mm bolts with 12mm radius seats on. I think Brickwerks sell them too

nesty

Post by nesty »

Sorry I keep saying bolts. I am using studs and nuts!

OK about the plasticine.

Yes the holes on the alloys were 12mm & opened up to 14mm. The machine shop said if I was going to use wheel bolts then something else would be required maching to make fit. However, if I am using studs and nuts then only the holes required boring out.

Though the studs I got are 50mm ones. I brought them ages ago and now thinking they might be too short for the merc wheel. I'll have to measure a bit later on!

nesty

Post by nesty »

Can you tell what seats these are?

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Bolts/studs it doesn't matter as you will still need the right seat on the fittings.

It's impossible to tell from that picture but as you said they are Mercedes alloys then they will probably have radius seat bolt/stud holes

Have a read of this and it should answer all your questions

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... ltwhls.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for anyone else to help then it may be prudent to list all the details stamped on the wheel (ET and width) as well as a picture of a wheel as someone else may have fitted the same wheels in the past

Also from the Brickyard I found this regarding studs

So you've got wheels intended for 12mm studs? Easy fix drill them out. How? With a pillar drill or a hand drill, I used a combination of both. I drilled them to 14mm on the pillar drill at work, then took them out to 15mm with a handheld power drill at home. I'd say go to 15mm all round although my fronts fitted at 14mm, the rears need drilling out to 15mm.

* Won't drilling them change the seat profile?

Yes it will, but Brickwerks has the answer. The nice Mr Baxter sells chrome radius nuts with the following description: "Radius to suit Mercedes wheels". They're the one's you want. The standard VW steel wheel nuts are a radius seat, but DO NOT use them, they are not he correct radius.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fitti ... 36791.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nesty

Post by nesty »

Just to say I offer an apology here. The wheels are 1000 Mille Migla, not Merc alloys. They look very much like Merc ones and keep getting it stuck in my head they are!

Today, I had a look at the seats on the alloys and I am conviced they are Taper. The front stud conversion kit seems to fit ok in the holes. However the studs are 50mm ones. Not sure if I require longer studs. The picture enclosed (if you imagine the wheels is see thru) the nut is wound on to the point to mimick where the stud would be on the hub. OK a bit sticking out at the end, though if I required a spacer (the wheels are 7.5J and a ET of 35), then I might run out of length?