Alloys wheel nuts holes ovalled ?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Alloys wheel nuts holes ovalled ?

Post by jebiga41 »

Just noticed that the holes for the wheel nuts on my alloys are all ovalled is this normal they are ford scorpio ones and if not how do i repair them? Any help much appreciated
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

dugwiththevwbug
80-90 Mem No: 2019

Re: Alloys wheel nuts holes ovalled ?

Post by dugwiththevwbug »

are you talking about scorpio cosworth alloys if so they need a foord specific nut with a locator shaft on the bottom of the nut as the holes are larger than the tandard vw bolts. If yours are ovaled i would guess there has been movement from the use uf the wrong nuts.
I beleive simon at brickwerks sells the correct nuts or ebay " foord to vw wheel fitting kit"

if yours are badly ovaled they may be saved by sleeving as the foord nuts are quite big or could be fubarred
perhaps someone local to you could take a look and advise you

doug :ok
Last edited by dugwiththevwbug on 30 Oct 2009, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.
Dougsvw-werks.co.uk
My other baby https://www.facebook.com/groups/120903171434150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

are they defo genuine wheels?

there are som aftermarket ones with oval holes, unistud i think they are called!

VERAT25
80-90 Mem No: 6882

Post by VERAT25 »

the best thing is to either have holes re machined or bin them. :!:

oval holes prob result of bad fitment. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

remember theese items are safety critical on any vehicle.
messing about with the characteristics of any alloy wheel is not reccomended.

in my opinion best result is to re machine pocket and press in new sleeve(as per opel fitment) then have new bolts

have known people to fit (dodhy/stolen) opel wheels only to find they come loose due to no inserts???????
make sure center bore is correct as this also has an effect on balance?? :?:

better safe than sorry(seen a few fatals due to alloy wheels over the years)

your choice

verat25(cardiff) :ok :ok :ok :ok

(worked in alloy wheel manufacture for 20 years )

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

....it does beg the (safety) question, why would you fit car wheels to a van? Are they rated to take what's possibly
2 1/2 tonnes? How would you fair if involved in a crash? At very least, your insurance company would have something to say about it...." you are not covered Sir, sorry" ??
:?:
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

VERAT25
80-90 Mem No: 6882

Post by VERAT25 »

my sentiments exactly fairwynds.
have seen to many people in probs from playing with this.

cheers

verat25(cardiff) :ok

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Dito above.........
But I was just wondering if the ovalling is man made? someone with a drill opening up the holes for VW 14mm studs? either way it does sound like a bodge job.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

dugwiththevwbug
80-90 Mem No: 2019

Post by dugwiththevwbug »

'....it does beg the (safety) question, why would you fit car wheels to a van? Are they rated to take what's possibly
2 1/2 tonnes? How would you fair if involved in a crash? At very least, your insurance company would have something to say about it...." you are not covered Sir, sorry" ??

I have foord scorpio cosworth alloys fitted to my van see this thread for specific info on most wheels suitable for vw t25 fitment
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... ltwhls.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if mr Baxter says it will work then it will work after all he has his reputation to loose.
As regards car alloys vs van alloys think of the scorpio its got to be two tonnes plus another tonne of 5 lardy adults and luggage and you get my drift the same for the large mercs and audis, sharans etc.
Yes small car alloys and youve got to be suicidal . certainly make sure you get the correct weight /speed rated tyres.
My insurance cover HIGHWAY has my wheels specifically listed on my conversion and they have okayed them.

hope this helps but if unsure bin em and get oem ones
Dougsvw-werks.co.uk
My other baby https://www.facebook.com/groups/120903171434150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Never had any yearning for alloys - much prefer the rufty-tufty 'man' wheels. I guess for low profiles theres an advantage but never seen the difference in weight as having suffient impact to turn my engine into some kind of sportster. I believe my wheels (steel) originally came from some early Merc coupe thing and no hardship if i curb them - thats what hammerite is for :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

CovKid wrote: I guess for low profiles theres an advantage but never seen the difference in weight as having suffient impact to turn my engine into some kind of sportster.

Alloys wont make it go faster its to lower the unsprung weight !!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thats fine if you don't encounter road humps and the like. Also much easier to slide underneath to do odds and ends. They can look good but much prefer the ground clearance and cheaper tyres.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.