Tyre ratings

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Tyre ratings

Post by Cruz »

The recommendation back in the 80's was for a 97 rated tyre or higher

there seems to be a split where some say a little less is ok and some say it isn't

I know it's all down to individual choice but would 95 rated tyres be OK given that there has been over 20 years of improvements in tyre technology?

Anyone run 95 rated tyres?

Reason I ask is the alloys I am looking to fit have 225/50/16 95W tyres on them with 6mm of tread

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Re: Tyre ratings

Post by windysurfer »

Got 95's on the front of mine
98's on the back.
Not saying its right or wrong but thats whats on mine
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Two issues here. Safety, and no less important, rendering your insurance void. If the assessor spots (and most check) that your tyres don't meet expected spec, they can and do void claims and that can be a VERY costly business then. As always, your insurance company should ALWAYS be notified even if your wheel/tyre change is wholly acceptable. If you don't they could well drop or downgrade any claim.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

Max plated weights for a standard panel van are.
Gross 2400kg
Axle 1 1200kg
Axle 2 1300kg

95 Load rating is 690kg a tyre. This means it is designed and tested to carry that weight all day every day.
which makes 1380kg an axle
or 2760kg for a 4 wheel vehicle.

So if you don't exceed your max permitted weights your tyres will not exceed their max load rating.
This means you don't break the law ie unsuitable tyre or dangerous vehicle condition.
There are some that believe that your insurance will be void, I don't know if this is fact or just scare mongering. The only way to find out would be to ask them. Of course you will have declared your alloys anyway!
Tyres are very different now to what they were when VW worte the manual cica. 30 years ago. The full range of load ratings (or sizes) were not available then so VW could only specify 97 rated van tyres as that would be all that was available. Cars were small, medium or large then there were vans. A big car back then would weigh less than a small one now, as passenger cars are now much heavier. Many people carrieres for example have a higher gross weight than a T3T25 and they use lower rated tyres.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

95's are completely legal and safe it's just in an ideal world you would 'desire' want more of a safetly margin.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

mine are 96 rated (extra load van tyres) and max load is 710 kgs so on the 4 it'll easily carry my 2 tonne bus.
the ride quality and getting out of sticky situations ability seems far better than the original stiffwalled tyres that were on it.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339