Re: Spare Wheel Storage

Post by matty o »

how about on the roof.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

chickenkoop wrote:well don't worry about carrying a spare, thats old hat, some car manufacturers don't put spares in the cars,its been replaced with a tin of tyre weld/inflate. couldn't believe it at first :rofl

Yes they do, but they are also running much newer tyres... having said that, any car thats converted to LPG usually has the same problem.. and the spare either sits in the boot or in the garage and they use a can of tyreweld... hence why I suggested it :wink: ... (I'd carry 2 cans mind)

The thing its not going to repair is a tired old tire thats got a cut etc in it.. screws and nails yes.. but if you happen to rip the sidewall out... no... Crappy cheapo old tyres are more prone to damage, so its worth investing in some new quality tyres if any look shabby.. also its important to check your tyre pressures regularly... as you all do in any case :wink: :wink: so i needent have said that last bit...

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

VERAT25 wrote:john boy.

would it be possible to make an adaptor to fit to the back door.
obviosly it would be fixed in position/like gunslingers,but i would think it would look ok and cost far less than 700 pounds.

not sure if this is feasable/some will say /no/--its just an idea i looked at the other day.would panel take weight/will gas struts hold it???? etc./etc/etc. :?: :?:

there is always an engineering way out of things.

i could prob machine parts for you f.o.c and can use my wheel details for flange.

all from stainless steel.

any other ideas let me know

verat25(cardiff) :ok :ok
http://www.hpwales.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (cnc precision engineers)

Would probably make the tailgate more or less unuseable though due to the weight making it so heavy to open

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

There is a huge amount of space above the gearbox and behind the rear bulkhead that whilst it won't take a spare or most LPG tanks, could accommodate a custom-made tank of some size. Next time you take a rear wheel off, take a peek. Naturally any custom made one would have to meet safety standards (and be fully tested) but its amazing how much room there is between rear wheels in there. Of all the places, that would seem the best of all for the tank.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Yes there is a fair amount of space in there, I looked into it ages and ages ago when I did my conversion (9 years ago now!!) but the problem is a "donut" tank would have to be quite thin and cylindrical tanks would have to be small diameter and 2 of.. that makes it quite costly and the end volume isnt great.. and as they have to be a pressure vessel a "custom shape" tank would be virtually impossible to make... Its a usefull space for a petrol tank though.. and then its almost viable to use the petrol tank space.. if it were not for the hoses and gear linkages in the way... :roll:

Oh.. yes you could make a bracket that goes on the tailgate, but as said.. it would make it impossible to use unless you are built like Geoff Capes...
Syncro engineering rear carriers are bloomin well made and wont fall off.. and very reasonable cost considering.. its not just the bit you see thats been engineered, the bits you dont see are quite a bit of work too... :wink:

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

CovKid wrote:There is a huge amount of space above the gearbox and behind the rear bulkhead that whilst it won't take a spare or most LPG tanks, could accommodate a custom-made tank of some size. Next time you take a rear wheel off, take a peek. Naturally any custom made one would have to meet safety standards (and be fully tested) but its amazing how much room there is between rear wheels in there. Of all the places, that would seem the best of all for the tank.

look at any syncro :wink:
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

VERAT25 wrote:john boy.

VERAT25 you are replying to ''johnboy1'' and not ''johnboy'' who is a different Club 80-90 member. :D

Perhaps new member ''johnboy1'' should change his username to avoid confusion! :)
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

dugcati wrote:
CovKid wrote:There is a huge amount of space above the gearbox and behind the rear bulkhead that whilst it won't take a spare or most LPG tanks, could accommodate a custom-made tank of some size. Next time you take a rear wheel off, take a peek. Naturally any custom made one would have to meet safety standards (and be fully tested) but its amazing how much room there is between rear wheels in there. Of all the places, that would seem the best of all for the tank.

look at any syncro :wink:

Syncro engines and box also sit 2" lower...

johnboy1
80-90 Mem No: 6613

Post by johnboy1 »

Thank you all for your thoughts on this problem, I would like to respond to some on the points raised:
1. My van is a 1987 Autosleeper Trident, watercooled.
2. The spare wheel carrier sold by Syncro-Nutz was the one I was quoted £600-£800 for purchase and fitting.
3. The LPG tank normaly fitted in the wardrobe is no longer available.
4. Prior to fitting the tank in the spare wheel cradle, I was advised to use tyreweld or similar product, I later found out that if my tyre was too badly damage for these products to be effective, the AA and RAC would not help as it is not their policy to supply members with a spare wheel in the event that you do not carry one.
5. If I store the wheel on the roof rack, I cannot use the roof ventilator unless I keep lifting the wheel on and off.
6. Regarding using quality tyres, I'v had the van 7 years without any punctures, this includes driving on rough grouund both here and on the continent.
7. If I could store the wheel on the rear door, I would not mind removing it to gain access to the rear of the van.

Verat25 I think that someone with your engineering background could come up with the right solution to the problem. You said to mention any ideas that come to mind, it's been suggested that I could carry the wheel on the bike rack, this might be the basis to an answear, i.e. spreading the load on the door with a purpose built frame. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Also please note that I am johnboy1.
Johnboy1

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I'd have said it was less an engineering problem and more a case of finding the actual space to store it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Seems you are limited to the rear tailgate but a standard steel spare is quite a heavy item and I wonder if the struts would support it? Opening and closing the tailgate has already been mentioned but, given that the tailgate has good access to the skin, the fitting of a load distribution plate should be fairly straightforward. If a plate can be fitted to distribute the load (I see no reason why it cannot) then using a bracket as used on the Bays could be used or possibly a single nut fixing as used on 4x4's could be an option. You could reduce the weight of the spare by buying a single 14in Carat alloy wheel and a set of nuts/bolts as these do appear on Ebay and will fit straight on in the event of a puncture.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Funny how syncroengineering *which is different to Syncronutz :wink: ) has them priced at £450 + carraige.. maybe the price on the site hasnt been updated...

AA/RAC will have to deal with similar issues for "modern" cars with no spare wheel.. perhaps they will only recover you to the nearest service area/tyre supplier..

I seem to remember someone on here having a bracket on the tow bar that dropped down so tailgate could be opend.. worth a thought... as tailgate really isnt the right place...

As for "carat" alloy wheel.. nice thought, I'll weigh one tomorrow, but certain it isnt significantly lighter to make any difference. (and have a feeling it could be heavier).

johnboy1
80-90 Mem No: 6613

Post by johnboy1 »

Hi Toomanytoys, When I phoned Syncro-Nutz prior to posting for the first time on this forum, I was quoted £600-£800, since posting the problem on this forum, one of the replies I got had Syncro-Nutz web address and suggested I contact then. The swing out arm is advertised there at £450, I assume that the additional costs are for fitting it.
As to possibly fitting a carry bar on the tow ball attachment, I don't know if I could fit a tow ball on my van as I have the full wrap around bumper/side skirt kit on the van. Thanks for your consideration.
Johnboy1.

21st November, 2010. Update:
This is the solution to my storage problem. T2 spare wheel storage plate bolted to a plane plate on the ladder, solid as the rock of Gib, had it mounted six months ago with no problems so far.

Johnboy1
Last edited by johnboy1 on 21 Nov 2010, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

you could just carry a tyre, and use the AA or RAC ect to change the tyre if tyre weld wont get you home.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

i'd fit a bike rack and fix it on there, or chuck it inside then chuck it under the van when camping.
i certainly wouldn't travel far without one.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339