are 4x4 tyres a "c" rating i.e ok for marladys bus

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oldiguana
80-90 Mem No: 2720

are 4x4 tyres a "c" rating i.e ok for marladys bus

Post by oldiguana »

yo guys,a mate of mine has a set of 15" tyres off a vitara goin cheap,will they be ok on marladys bus or are they the wrong rating......and been lookin at tyres and some dont have a "c" rating just a load index...whats all that about then...............
.membership no 2720

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: are 4x4 tyres a "c" rating i.e ok for marladys bus

Post by Aidan »

load rating is what they can handle if you look on the plate on the nearside a pillar it will tell you the load rating that the standard tyres have, you want something pretty close, around 100 for our vehicles

oldiguana
80-90 Mem No: 2720

Post by oldiguana »

ok guys....how will i know what the load rating is on a tyre when im lookin at it?......is there somewhere for me to look?.........cheerz
.membership no 2720

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

oldiguana wrote:ok guys....how will i know what the load rating is on a tyre when im lookin at it?......is there somewhere for me to look?.........cheerz

On the sidewall, it will say something like 195 R 15 100 S....

The "100" is the load rating, the "S" the speed rating. There are tables on t'internet to convert these numbers into actual KG weight and relevant Mph. I think the recommended load rating is 97 or above for our vans, speed rating - well it probably doesn't matter as much :wink:

Also watch the DOT codes on second hand tyres, they tell you when the tyre was made & you don't want anything too old - open to interpretation, some manufacturers say ten years but ROSPA say 6 I think at the moment.

:ok
What a long strange trip it's been