alloys and tires

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

weedwhacker
80-90 Mem No: 12897

alloys and tires

Post by weedwhacker »

looking at getting a set of alloys for my camper to replace the standard steelies.
my main thought is about tires.... will standard road tires be ok or would you have to get proper van tires due to the weight if the camper.
i havent got a lot in the way of equipment in there and possibly wont have, ive just heard talk of tires exploding due to weight.
anyone know the sort of rules about this.

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: alloys and tires

Post by eatcustard »

link here

http://www.raceandroad.com/acatalog/Spe ... tings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Re: alloys and tires

Post by andisnewsyncro »

There's a lot about tyres been posted - weights etc, but as long as you have tyres equal or greater than the "specified" weight loading for your van you will be ok. Anything under the specified could well cause you major headaches if you ever have to make an insurance claim, if your tyres are not right they could and probably would declare your insurance invalid.

Check out 4x4 tyres as well commercial rated ones; there are a lot of decent tyres available now in the correct rating. Personally I would happily recommend Maxxis and Marshall as the two brands I've run on the van and both have proved to be good. I had Maxxis on my Disco too, mailnly through the price and no probs withthem, which is why I bought them for the van.
What a long strange trip it's been