help with locking alloys

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

help with locking alloys

Post by janieh »

Hi All
We just got a T25 this week, so excited! It's a 1998 westfalia club joker and it's in pretty good nick. We're totally new to all this though - living in London we haven't even had a car for about 8 years!

Anyway, the guy that sold it to us had put on some alloy wheels. We figured people might try to nick them, we don't want to find our van up on bricks! so we went to halfords to get some locking wheel nuts. They asked us a few quesions and sold us some McGard bolt style nuts and told us to get a garage to fit them. We went straight off to the local ATS garage and the guy looked at our wheels and said, "no sorry you've got the wrong type! you need one without the bolt on it as you can't take the bolt out of the wheels you've got".

Ok, so we went back to halfords, who then told us the garage didn't know what it was talking about! We went back to ATS anyway, as by then we had a puncture that needed fixing (after we've only driven it 10 miles!). All the guys at ATS insisted Halfords are talking rubbish and said we need to get a different type of nut.

So now I'm doing a bit of internet research trying to work out what nuts we need. From looking at the McGard site I think we need shank style locks - http://www.mcgard.com/Home/AutomotivePr ... ShankStyle but there's so much choice I'm confused!

We've got BBS alloys that we were told were made specifically for a VW Golf. I've uploaded a couple of photos, if anyone has any idea how to find out what nuts we need I'd be greatful for any advice. http://picasaweb.google.com/jane.hersey ... directlink
Thanks so much
jane
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: help with locking alloys

Post by R0B »

the front wheels have bolts and the rears have studs.you need to get a front stud conversion kit http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?k ... hop.browse you remove the front bolts.and screw the studs in using a drop of thread lock.you can then use the locking wheel nuts on all four wheels
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

janieh

Post by janieh »

Oh thanks for the info, although I'm more confused now! Is the issue with the studs due to the actual van, rather than something specific to the alloy wheels? and they are different front and back - does that mean I do need to keep the set of nuts I've got, and buy another set for the rear? And how do I know which conversion stud and nut is needed?

thanks!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

give baxter a ring at brickwerks he should help you.tell him what wheels you have.and he can then tell you what you need.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

janieh

Post by janieh »

Thanks Rob. I'll do that.
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD