uneven tyre wear loose wheels nuts.. any ideas?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

iain
80-90 Mem No: 3505

uneven tyre wear loose wheels nuts.. any ideas?

Post by iain »

I have a 1989 bluestar 1.6td power steering.

The tyre wear over the last 500-600 miles has completely worn the nearside tyre with no tread visible. The inside and the off side tyre have minimal wear (all replaced 4500 miles ago). Driving along 100 miles and 5 miles ago the wheel nuts became loose. I have jacked up both wheels and there is minor play when you grab the tyre at 6 and 12 o'clock, but not 9 and 3 o'clock. There is minimally more play on the offside. The van does slightly pull to the left, but that could be due to the camber of local roads. I phoned up our very helpful alignment centre and they advised to check all ball joint track rod ends etc before giving them the van. I cant see any movement at the suspension but do i have to be heavy handed to see it?

Any advice would be greatfully accepted. Many thanks for your help.

Iain

leroiandjayne
80-90 Mem No: 5642

Re: uneven tyre wear loose wheels nuts.. any ideas?

Post by leroiandjayne »

hi mate,iv got an 87 devon eurovette and had a similar problem,it turned out that the wishbone bushes at the top of the suspension was totally shot,if youve got some movement at 6 and 12 oclock then there is some wear to them,give them a try with some force and see how much movement there is,in saying that its not too major or expensive to change them if you need to,£33 from jk with delivery. hope this helps leroi

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

small 12 and six movement is acceptable.

seems that your tracking has moved this could have happend with the latest spate of potholes.
or that one of the steering components has failed... ie end ball joints, drop link snapped, castor moved etc.

the MOT would have picked up any component defect

the loose nuts, how loose?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

iain

Post by iain »

MOT only 2 months and 500 miles ago. Have been out tonight and placed a big bar under tyre and levered up and down there is a louder noise on the 6-12 movement (none 3-9). If the upper/lower b/j or upper bush had gone can you tell the play by hand or do you need to be more forceful? The nuts were loose enough for wheel on hub movement... scary

Many thanks for the replies

Iain

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Post by dsa »

If the wheel nuts have been loose for a while this could have affected the tracking causing tyre wear worn bushes etc would not loosen wheel nuts

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

use a trolley type jack and jack the van UNDER the front lower arm NOT at the jacking point

this will lift the van with the suspension still as its loaded on the road .

this is how the mot test should be carried out

problem is if you use the jacking point the road spring puts force on the upper arm and balljoint so you will not see/feel any play!

iain

Post by iain »

I have jacket it up under the bottom wish bone and there is still the minimal 6 to 12 o'clock play and nil 3 to9. Does this mean it is just the tracking/camber? Or can a ball joint or bush still be failing.

Sorry for the delay in replying... busy at work :x