Polishing Alloys?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bond007
80-90 Mem No: 5705

Polishing Alloys?

Post by Bond007 »

Anyone polished a set of wheels the same as those pictured below :?:

I've polished Alloys before (on a motorcycle) and it was pretty straight forward.

Camper less at present :-(

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Re: Polishing Alloys?

Post by gsmoke »

I've not seen those wheels polished before but I think they would look great.
I polished my wheels by using wet and dry in increasingly higher grades then a polishing mop and plenty of autosol.
Hard work, but worth the effort!
Keeping them shiney is a bit of a chore too, I'm going to experiment with some 'polished metal laquer' from Frosts over the next few months.
I think your alloys might look tops with a polished rim and black satin centres.
Go for it! Only a weekends work!

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Lifes to short to polish alloys.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Lifes to short to polish alloys.
:rofl Too true, I'm swapping to steels with a black gloss finish courtesy of Dulux

I do think they'll look good though if you have the will power to set to it, be interested to see pictures of the end result, just hate cleaning stuff though.
What a long strange trip it's been

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

Spun alloy centres also available from US ebay... bin there we thought bout it couldnt be arsed with polishing..! :lol:
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

Matt The Hat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Matt The Hat »

What a world it would be if nobody could be arsed to do anything, Do it man, set you're bus apart from the rest. And have the satisfaction that it cost you next to nothing apart from the ends of your fingers! Ive done a few sets in the past as ive never wanted to spend ££££ on wheels, but when you come round to sell them they'l be worth ££££.

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Post by Pepperami »

You could try powder coating them.

http://www.aerocoat.net/Aeromaxtm.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They are very good.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

melmelody
80-90 Mem No: 6934

Post by melmelody »

Bond007 wrote:Anyone polished a set of wheels the same as those pictured below :?:

I've polished Alloys before (on a motorcycle) and it was pretty straight forward.

hi there i'm new to this site but got to start researching these buses as iv'e just bought a 1988 2.1 wasserboxer caravellle with a westie camper conversion fitted so need to find out the normal day to day problems with running these vans. with regards to polishing your alloys check out rainbow polishing in oldbury west midlands they polished a set of schnitzer 18 inch alloys for my m3 for 140 quid and before they started them they were in complete "pooh" order, when finished they were good enough to show. the staff are very helpful and were saying that they get wheels sent from all over europe for polishing for custom shows and for beetle and bus meets as for wet and dry and autosol it can be done but it'll break your heart the amount of time it takes hope this is some help

GUPPY
80-90 Mem No: 4333

Post by GUPPY »

if you go on to the web site http://www.rat-look.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, there is a really good post about polishing alloys on it :ok
Volkswagen Skunkwerks
Restoration, Modification, Paintwork, & Parts sales!
Call or email Joe for more information : 07414265280 / volkswagenskunkwerks@hotmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/VolkswagenSkunkwerks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MEM NO 4333