Mercedes wheel load rating, a definitive answer?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Mercedes wheel load rating, a definitive answer?

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Having spent many an hour trawling for more specific info on the load ratings for Mercedes wheels, from here to the depths of t'internet and back, and I have just received the following email....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<email copied & pasted below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello Andi,

We are commercial wheel dealers, and I was surprised when this information was not readily at hand, but after a lot of searching around, I've found out that these are car wheels you're looking at, and even saw your desperate plea for anyone to give you the loading, including a very unhelpful Mercedes………..

I have them listed in a car catalogue which unfortunately still doesn't detail the loading, but they take a 195/65 R 15 tyre which in Continental is rated at 690kgs in a reinforced format, giving a gross vehicle weight of 2760kgs over 4, so you can be confident that the wheels are capable of at least that loading, plus a small safety tolerance.

Alternatively we can make you some special wheels using commercial van rims, either 6J x 15 or 6.5J x 16 depending on your preference, at about £115.00 each, primer finished or £150.00 each powder coated, with an offset of your choice

Hope this helps

Best regards

James
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
original message
Hi
I don't know if you can help me and I apologise in advance that isn't exactly a sales enquiry

I need to be able to establish the maximum load rating for some Hayes-Lemmerz rims and you come up as being the UK contacts so here goes

OEM Mercedes made by Hayes Lemmerz
They are stamped 2150246
Mercedes part number 210 400 0202
On the rim 010B7
Size 6.5J X 15H2
ET 37

I need to know the maximum permitted load for the rims to calculate if they are suitable for my desired use
I have had no joy approaching them directly, it appears they have filed for some form of US Govt support.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<end of copied email>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is from the company that is listed as the official supplier of Hayes-Lemmerz rims into the UK (though perhaps not for much longer as it looks like Hayes-Lemmerz are in SERIOUS trouble !!) So, can this be right, if it is they are perfectly suited to go on a T25, yet there are a lot of reports of them being "soft" and some say definately not load rated high enough.
I'm beginning to wish I'd never started looking into it, I just hate not having all the info about things and thought I'd dig a bit deeper......
On a more important note, would this recommendation stand up legally in the face of any issues stemming from the use of said wheels?
Any thoughts on this anyone

Andi
What a long strange trip it's been

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: Mercedes wheel load rating, a definitive answer?

Post by Red Westie »

I take it you are not in posession of said rims? because most have this type of information cast in the mould (inside of the rim)
My opinion (I was a grade 1 tech on MB's for several years) the bigger 126 'S Class' probably weighs as much as a T25 and obviously has a lot more power and speed, so if these rims came off one of the bigger Mercs they will have know problems handling the weight. The tyre fitment/rating (as explained) also clearly indicates the rim must be of similar if not higher rating.....I think you can be 99% sure given the information to hand but if you can get to the codes on the back of the rims that might be conclusive.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Hi Martin

I've got the flippin things alright, just been deliberating about wether they're safe to use or not.....

Absolutely everything that is stamped on the rims, inside & out as far as I can see (and believe me I've looked hard!) is in the email that I sent, there's nothing about carrying capacity, weights etc at all, nada...
Mercedes UK say "it's not the sort of information that we have" Lemmerz themselves do not reply, I even tried Chrysler US and a couple of US based Merc forums, on the understanding that such information is a legal requirement in the USA, but still no answer other than the mail I recieved today from the UK importer of Lemmerz commercial products, who has, to be fair, obviously gone to some considerable effort to answer my question.

Just thought I'd throw it into the ring here, which is where I first read of concerns about their load rating. What I'm wanting to do is put a set of Marshal Powerguard 195R15 on them for my Syncro, mainly as a test before I splash out on some "proper" wheels if it works out ....

Watch this space

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Yeah.......I need to flippin read the post better...doh!
Just though perhaps if you knew what car they came off? what model? then perhaps you can find the weight of that car? etc etc
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

They're listed as OEM for all sorts of models and I've looked for info on quite a few of them, nothing so far with a GVW quite as high as a Syncro but some with unladen weights listed as heavier....
Gone a bit number blind to be honest, I hate not being able to get all the info on something when I get an idea though :lol:
Cheers for your input, it's appreciated
Andi

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

They are soft, when used off road, they get splattered easily.
On road they seem fine.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

andisnewsyncro

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Simon Baxter wrote:They are soft, when used off road, they get splattered easily.
On road they seem fine.

That sort of soft, I was worrying about them just folding in day to day usage, rather than taking a belting off road.
As soon as the clutch is in (thanks Brickwerks) they're going on with the 195 tyres & I'll see how that changes things; driving feel, looks etc.
Thanks all,

Andi