Porsche Adapters- best place to source them

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

yellowbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Porsche Adapters- best place to source them

Post by yellowbus »

as the subject title sayd really got a set of porsche boxters wheels and want to know who you'd recommend to get the adapters off or do i just hit up ebay?

there et 50 and 55 but going on an audi a6 so 20 mm will suffice.

Cheers,
Kieron

P.S. May also want to keep the option open of fitting them to the bus at a later date aswell. are 255 tyres on the rear too wide?

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Porsche Adapters- best place to source them

Post by jason k »

the tyre width depends on the rim width as to if its too wide, personally i would say a 255 will need the sliding door mod doing. what width are the rims??

i use h and r adaptors, they are the best you can get. t u v approved too.
98 Westfalia James Cook

yellowbus

Post by yellowbus »

the rims are 8.5" wide- i tried them on my audi today- way too wide but apparently you can fit 215's on them

i think that'd be the stretched side wall euro look then and i'm not sure i trust them when you stretch the side walls.

Not keen on modding the sliding door really despite how good the wheels would look.

Where did you get your h and r adapters from?

shanco73
80-90 Mem No: 6874

Post by shanco73 »

Hi I got mine from the sandown park show, from a r3etailer called kinkymicks website is http://www.kinkymicks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,
paid 100 quid for mine they were to fit porsche wheels to my high top t25, good luck mate.
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)
sleeps 2 adults and one baby - so far
Off road (under MIG at the mo)
Soon to be seen at a campsiye near you !!

shanco73@hotmail.com surrey

scottyinsw

Post by scottyinsw »

I bought mine off Ebay £140 steel ,but no hub centric lip. so a bugger to fit the wheels each time and to center.
When fitted the they wobbled at speed so had to remove them all again and use a bit off copper slip and gently tighten the bolts and wobble the wheel to get perfectly central then tighten fully . They dont rattle loose now :D
Mine are porsche cup 3 and 17 inch x 8 et 50 with 25 mm adapter so fit nicely with no door rubbage

yellowbus

Post by yellowbus »

I had a play with the very same adapters you've got- are they galvanised a goldish tinge?

i see what you mean about a bugger to mount the wheels. What width are your rear tyres? My only worry is i've got a set of boxster s wheels very similar to yours but the rear wheel is 8.5" wide and its sporting the factory 255 width tyres.

scottyinsw

Post by scottyinsw »

yellowbus wrote:I had a play with the very same adapters you've got- are they galvanised a goldish tinge?

i see what you mean about a bugger to mount the wheels. What width are your rear tyres? My only worry is i've got a set of boxster s wheels very similar to yours but the rear wheel is 8.5" wide and its sporting the factory 255 width tyres.

Yep yellow tinge.

Just RE checked mine are 8.5 inches wide to the edges of the wheels so i think they might be 8 inches wide :oops: with 205 50 tyres and the backs are fine. its the front thats an issue. ha ha :oops: ( when lowered)

Any pics?

yellowbus

Post by yellowbus »

the wheels are stepped so 7 inch fronts and 8.5 rear

as are the tyres 205 front and 255 rear- i'm told 255 tyres fit on the back with no sliding door mods needed but i'm not convinced

so are yours 205 all round? is a 205 tyre on a 8.5" rim result in some serious tyre wall stretching?

scottyinsw

Post by scottyinsw »

yellowbus wrote:the wheels are stepped so 7 inch fronts and 8.5 rear

as are the tyres 205 front and 255 rear- i'm told 255 tyres fit on the back with no sliding door mods needed but i'm not convinced

so are yours 205 all round? is a 205 tyre on a 8.5" rim result in some serious tyre wall stretching?

My wheels measure 8.5 from outer lip to inner edge so not sure if they are 8.5 or 8 inch. as there is not a lot of stretch i guess they are 8 inch.
Yep 205 50 17 all round but only 10 - 20mm of clearance between the face of the wheel and the door. On the thread "my wheels are as wide as the arches" there are a few replies on there with vans with large rear wheels so may be check with them their clearances?

Those widths should look ideal as the front of the van hubs are wider than the back so will prob look the same width, as opposed to mine with the front wheels sticking out a bit. :D

jason k

Post by jason k »

the door gap will depend on the wheeel!!!

i got porsche d 90s but with the wider dish wheel on the back 7.5 or 8 j i cant remember and i run 225 55 16 and i got a few mm only gap. no hing mod. i think the et is 55 and i have 20mm adaptors.

i bought mine from http://www.t3tuning.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but i think he has gone.

if you pm vwnerd on the brickyard , the guys name is tim , he has em in stock.

h and r are the best and are tuv approved, which is something to think about with your loved ones in your bus!! . i bought cheap ones and could not get em to run right on the van , the quality was pants

buy once buy right
98 Westfalia James Cook

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

But H&R ones don't fit out of the box and have to be modified to fit the front, which increases the cost of said item, and invalidates the warranty.
H&R don't actually make adapters for the T3 to Porsche, you have to use ones from another model and modify them to suit.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

I used a set of Kinky Micks adpaters and once I had set em correctly and run them for a week or so i bonded em on with some glue which helped, i loctited the first bolts on too jus for my peace of mind! After 3 years they still hadn't given me any hassles. This was just my experience though, probably not perfect engineering but sometimes it isn't when modding! I found Mick helpful when I bought em tho.
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

jason k

Post by jason k »

but was he kinky!!! :D
98 Westfalia James Cook

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Post by gsmoke »

Fair play, I think he's as kinky as a box of kinks.
Have you seen some of his T25 stickers for sale on his website? !! :shock: :lol:
http://www.kinkymicks.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

captain rex
80-90 Mem No: 5951

Post by captain rex »

I used kinky micks too - the adapters are all galvanised and i've had no probs with running my porsche 911 wheels with them - top man, a tad unreliable, but gets there in the end, and much, much cheaper than elsewhere, he also had my 18mm ones machined specially - nice man!

I have hit on one problem tho - any one got any ideas on locking wheel nuts?? Have tried the usual suspects, but the tapered locking wheel nuts wont fit - anyone with my set up? What are you using, or aren't you??? All replies gratefully received. :D
KT - new to this T25 malarky, so go gentle with me!

1965 Bug
1985 Caravelle GL