Best Tyres

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DaisyAirHead
80-90 Mem No: 4519

Best Tyres

Post by DaisyAirHead »

Hi,
I have recently purchased a set of genuine VW 14 inch alloy wheels to replace my original steel wheels.
My original tyres are a bit of a mismatch of makes and therefore I am going to take the opportunity to put new tyres onto the alloys.
I have looked on Wiki and found useful advice,but would really be interested in experiences from 80-90 members as to tyres they are running and any to avoid.
I will be keeping a steel spare wheel with 185/14 tyre.Should I fit 205/80/14`s to the alloys or can I run standard 185/14`s on them to match spare wheel size? If I change spare to a 205 as well,will I have problems with the spare wheel carrier not fitting?
As ever cost is an issue.I am looking at Hankook or Vredenstein as these seem reasonable at about £55-£70.Michelins are very expensive!
The van is a 1981 Holdsworth camper 2 litre a/c.
Arrgh some many questions so little time!
Thanks John
Hmm How much did you say?For that you gotto be joking....
Mem No 4519
1981 2 litre a/c Holdsworth Camper

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Best Tyres

Post by AngeloEvs »

Mine came with the 205's but prefer the 185 x 14's as, like you say, it matches the spare. The speedo is also more accurate with these (on mine anyway!). I also managed to get an alloy for the spare and this will fit in the carrier with the standard tyre but no chance with a 205 which requires a deeper carrier. Theres a few on here with 185's on Carat alloys and all seem pretty happy with them. As for tyre choice, any reputable commercial grade should be fine but someone will advise you of a particular make
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

I've been running 185 14s on Carat alloys; Maxxis LT M+S rated tyres which have been superb. 30000km+ and still looking like new,

The thing to watch (as always mentioned) is the load rating on your new tyres, make sure it's high enough, 97 or over.

Shop round on the internet and then see if your local tyre depot can match the prices. There's a big difference in the web quoted price out there, I don't think any one place is cheapest for all makes.

Andi
What a long strange trip it's been

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well, if its any encouragement I bought four brand new tyres from Ebay for £99 and fitted them myself with big old tyre levers and a compressor to pump em up. Took 30 mins at most. Make isn't top brand and had no issues with them whatsoever. Happy to go out and check brand if its any use. Tyres generally are about load rating but I'm driving a Caravelle on car tyres and they've been great to be honest. Mine are about 95 load rating I think - just under the recommended but then I'm fanatical about keeping weight as low as I can for fuel economy anyway. Thats why, in a thread going back a bit, I mentioned a way to make interior units that were incredibly lightweight and strong.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

DaisyAirHead

Post by DaisyAirHead »

Many Thanks for all the advice.
Looks like 185`s are the way to go,as I do not want to start having to replace spare wheel carrier.As the old girl does not have power steering 205`s would also increase weight of steering at parking speeds.
£99 for 4 tyres is good going.I fit motorbike tyres myself but van tyres are a bit much I think.Good on you though for doing it Covkid
Have found Maxxis for £45 a tyre so far with Vredestein comtracs at £54.
I am concerned about weight as with the two of us two teenage kids,two large dogs,surfing gear large awning bikes(tow a small trailer)on board I must be near maximum weight.Its a wonder how she moves at all,but that is another matter! :shock:
Mem No 4519

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Sorry guys....I have to disagree.
There were two original sizes with the Carats: 185/R14C and 205/70R14 (practically the same size diametre, 205 being 1.5% smaller circumference)
Less than 1mph difference at 50mph on the speedometer (actually a larger difference between a new tyre and one with 2mm tread)
I'm on 185's BUT! if I had the choice I would be on the 205's and if I were in your position of changing all four....as far as I'm concerned it's a NO BRAINER...definately the 205/70/14's
They look better/grip better and give better handing.
The only down side is they are more expensive and are becoming fairly difficult to get.
And for your information: The 205/70/14's were the MORE COMMON tyre option that Volkswagen themselves fitted from NEW to the VW Carat wheel.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

DaisyAirHead

Post by DaisyAirHead »

Thanks Martin,
Yup was aware that 205`s were standard fit for carats,but as you say are getting hard to find now.
Will see how cheap I can find them for,but would ideally need a spare as well to replace my standard 185 and then the wheel would not fit the spare wheel carrier.
I do not do a huge mileage every year,so extra cost may not warrant it.
Your advice must welcome though.
John.
Mem No 4519

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

Hi, I also swapped to carat alloys a while ago and did a lot of reserach at that time. You can still get the wider tyres with a Commercial rating but very few makes, expensive and if you have to replace one or two at some point without preparation you'll be stuck (ok unlikely perhaps). 185 14c available everywhere and from much web reading and asking about I'd say ideally Continental Vanco's- excellent tyres and not too noisy with great safety ratings. About 60 each on web. Otherwise I would get Hankook RA80 i think they are, cheaper and decent reputation.
I've got michelin agilis 8 ply which seem fine and i got very cheap- otherwise normally 70 quid odd and not worth it really. Tim
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I can get budget 207/70/14's.
It's an old size and the big names have stopped doing them now so your kinda stuck with the budget brands but they are a 6" rim, and the 205/70/14's are correct for the wheel.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

As far as I am aware, 205's fit in the carrier and despite there rarity they are still widely available, mostly to order but still available.
Martin

DaisyAirHead

Post by DaisyAirHead »

Thanks to all,
I will try and see if I can get and try a carat wheel with a 205 fitted to see if it will fit the spare wheel carrier.
I must admit though I prefer a well known tyre brand.I had a bad experience with a defective carcass on a cheap tyre on my Landrover,so vowed to stick with recognised brands.More expensive and I know some say a lot of the big tyre companies make tyres for budget companies anyway same as Kellogs makes cereal for the own brand supermarket cereals but hey as they say you pays your money.....
Best Regards
John.
Mem No 4519

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

:D
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 7b0s2225p0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best friend has these...P6 pattern and commercially rated so no schedded carcasses
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Never noticed any difference in Handling when driven as a camper not an Audi Quattro (so cant make that comparison). Let us know how you get on with the spare carrier as I found that you could not engage the safety mechanism with the 205 and wouldn't risk using without it engaged.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Not much available, what is I have put on my website.
I don't stock them but I can get them.
Obviously I can fit and balance them too.
Click
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

DaisyAirHead

Post by DaisyAirHead »

Thanks Simon,
I am down in Surrey so your fitting option not feasible I am afraid.
I think I am going with 185`s as I would need to change spare as well If I fitted 205`s.
Thanks for your advice.
Mem No 4519